Kate's Reviews > Call Me by Your Name

Call Me by Your Name by André Aciman

bookshelves: 2018, age-adult, lgbtq

Every summer, Elio's family takes in a boarder. This summer, it's Oliver, with whom Elio slowly realizes he is completely smitten. Elio tries to interpret his interactions with Oliver, and clumsily tries to express his own feelings.

I saw the movie before reading this book, and as I read it, I was amazed at how they turned this book into a movie. The dialogue was all there in the book and movie, but the book transported me back to my middle- and high-school days when I might have a crush and record in my diary every action, interaction, passing glance, etc. and try to interpret what they meant. Did he like me? Could he tell I liked him? What does this mean? The writing was very much like that, only more poetic and complex. I enjoyed the movie very much, hence why I read the book, and I had read some review that the book was like this. At times it was a bit much, I wanted to knock Elio out of his own head. But the descriptions life in Italy, in particular summer in Italy just resonated with me, I could feel the heat of the place sinking into my skin and I'd want to take a nap in the sun.

It kind of amazed me, when I read the jacket flap (after reading the book, of course I knew what the book was about already) how neatly the taboo of a m/m relationship was sidestepped by whoever marketed this novel. Nowhere is it made obvious that this is the subject of the story. Then again, does it need to be obvious? It's about the kind of infatuation one has when one is young and in love.

I had heard that there was more to the story after the point where the movie ends, but this is only in the last 10 pages and briefly covers about 20 years afterwards. This is really the only point where it differs greatly from the movie.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call Me by Your Name.

March 6, 2018 – Shelved