Patricia's Reviews > Awaken Me Darkly

Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter

Nov 06, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, age_adult, paranormal_psychics, _setting-alternate-universe, _setting-futuristic, _g_paranormals
Read on November 06, 2011

Surprisingly different from Showalter's other novels. And surprisingly good.

The Alien Huntress series is set in an alternate future. A little like Eve Dallas, but way better. There are aliens, other-worlders, living among the humans, but they don't have equal rights. They can be killed on sight if they harm a human, are barely tolerated. Humans almost destroyed the Earth when they tried to battle them - and failed - so they in the end agreed on living together, as long as no human was harmed.

Of course there are good and bad other-worlders. And Mia Snow, the heroine of this book is one of the best hunters, people who hunt aliens only, who are trained differently.

Unlike LOTU or other Showalter novels we here have a first person as the narrator. Mia.

Several guys have been found, dead. Mia arrests a girl, Lilla. She's an other-worlder and her brother, Kyrin seems to have a special interest in Mia. *cough cough*

While the story unfolds, Mia has some strange moments. Once she suddenly is able to move extremely fast, then she had a vision or two, feels other-worlders and stuff like that. She runs into Kyrin and he seems to have answers - might even be the criminal she's been looking for - and when her partner, Dallas is close to death and Kyrin the only one who might save him, she doesn't have much time to decide whom to trust and how important her prejudices and her beliefs are.

Growing up with a horrible father who only loved her older brother Kane and either ignored her and her other brother, Dare, or punished her for yet another 'crime', she learned to hate otherworlders who killed Dare when he was barely grown up. Yearning for her father's approval she became a huntress and did what she thought might earn her something, anything from him. After all he hates aliens.

And one of Kyrin's secrets, the one that's worse than the past crimes he tries to make up for, is about her and why her father never had a gentle word for her.

Kyrin and Mia are a nice couple. I didn't really understand how everything could happen so fast, but I liked them together.

One of the cons is Dare. (view spoiler) another one is that I found Kyrin and Mia's relationship not .. enough. I don't know which adject to put in. Hot? Lovely? There was just something missing.

3.5
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken Me Darkly.

Anne I remember thinking there was something missing between those two, as well. Great review!