Becca-Rae Weidel's Reviews > The Hidden Side

The Hidden Side by Heidi Chiavaroli

bookshelves: christian-fiction

This was a story that sucked me in and held me tight until the very last page. Unfortunately, we live in a world where it’s not abnormal to hear about bomb threats and school shootings. Sadly, people shouting “gun control!” won’t fix anything because it all comes down to a heart issue. Yet how would I react if one of my very own kids ended up being the one behind the gun? How would I feel towards my child that I know I did my best raising, and raised them up in the church to love the LORD? How would I best be able to help a child of mine if they were being bullied and embarrassed to talk about it? I myself was a bullied kid. I’ve never understood wanting to hurt someone else for hurting me, but I know what it’s like to wish I was invisible so that I couldn’t be hurt anymore. At the end of the day we have to all admit that none of us have all the answers. Even Bible-believing, regular church-attending Christians can be hit with the unfathomable. I believe that the author did an excellent job of portraying how the different characters were effected individually by the shooting. I found myself putting myself in the shoes of each of the characters as I read which made it an even more emotional read. I can only imagine how emotional it had to have been for the author in the process.

There is also an alternate story that took place during the late 1700’s. While it was good on it’s own, I don’t think I got the connection as much as I should have. I believe as a stand-alone I would have enjoyed it more.

I can’t say how strongly I recommend this book especially in light of what’s been going on in the world lately. In tragedy today, everyone seems to be looking around for who they can point their finger at who to blame. There is a heightened sense of “you hurt me so I’m going to hurt you more,” that only seems to escalate the violence and blame-shifting. Before God we all fall short. Before God we are all just as guilty. Before God we all need a savior. School shootings are unfortunately not uncommon anymore. The world is hurting. Instead of judging and blaming we need to come alongside the hurting and offer comfort and truth in God’s Word. “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”~ Matt 11:28

*I received a complimentary advanced copy for an honest review from NetGalley and the publisher. Opinions expressed in this review are mine only.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Side.

March 5, 2018 – Shelved