Sarah's Reviews > The Wolf at the Door

The Wolf at the Door by Charlie Adhara

I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

The hunt for a werewolf serial killer sees human BSI agent Cooper paired with werewolf Trust agent Park in a creepy small town.

Cooper’s paranormal branch of the FBI feels a little bit Xfiles and the shifter/human partnership feels a little bit THIRDS. The whole mix of murder mystery/paranormal horror/police procedural feels fresh and had me thoroughly invested from the start.

There isn’t as much world-building or character development in this first book as I’d have liked. I think we’re half-way through the story before Cooper and Park trade first names. Park’s life is never properly explored and we don’t ever learn much about the origins of werewolves in this book. I’m hoping subsequent books give us more information. This is an action story and we don’t learn enough about Cooper or Park to fully care for them.

This story focuses mostly on the agents’ murder investigation. There are a few clues that point readers in the right direction but I had a little WTF? moment at the baddy reveal. Even going back through the book, I wasn’t sure there was enough for me to solve the story alongside Cooper and Park.

I liked the relationship between Cooper and Park - the mistrust between them is slowly replaced by grudging respect and later by something more complicated. There are a few steamy moments here but the sex is between partners who can’t quite let their suspicions go. This isn’t a romance - though I suspect the series may become more romantic.

This book is very promising. So far, I like the premise and I like the characters in this series. I enjoyed the investigation. I’m hoping for more world building and character development in the next book. I’m also hoping that I’m going to end up loving this series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf at the Door.

March 5, 2018 – Started Reading