Alex is The Romance Fox's Reviews > The Stand

The Stand by Stephen King

bookshelves: stephen-king, favorites-books, authors-i-o, horror, adventure-mystery-crime-thriller, paranormal
Read 5 times. Last read April 19, 2017.

I never get tired of reading this book. It's my absolute all time favorite reads. Every once in a while I have to go back and read it again and again....and it's just as good as the first time I read it those many years ago.

1st Review

The end of the world where humanity takes a stand between good and evil.  photo tumblr_lxgvwaXGzD1qzi80do1_r1_500_zpse984a180.gif
I am a Stephen King fan and whilst I have read most of his books, The Stand has remained my all-time favorite. I read it when it was first published in 1978 and I was really happy when a longer and uncut version came out in 1990 and have since read it many times. It remains an incredible, riveting and unforgettable story. The ultimate post-apocalyptic/horror/fantasy and thought provoking novel.

The following content was provided by the publisher, giving a brief synopsis of the story and information on the 1991 uncut version.

This is the way the world ends: with a nanosecond of computer error in a Defense Department laboratory and a million casual contacts that form the links in a chain letter of death.
And here is the bleak new world of the day after: a world stripped of its institutions and emptied of 99 percent of its people. A world in which a handful of panicky survivors choose sides -- or are chosen. A world in which good rides on the frail shoulders of the 108-year-old Mother Abigail -- and the worst nightmares of evil are embodied in a man with a lethal smile and unspeakable powers: Randall Flagg, the dark man.

In 1978 Stephen King published "The Stand, the novel that is now considered to be one of his finest works. But as it was first published, "The Stand was incomplete, since more than 150,000 words had been cut from the original manuscript.

Now Stephen King's apocalyptic vision of a world blasted by plague and embroiled in an elemental struggle between good and evil has been restored to its entirety. "The Stand: "The Complete And Uncut Edition includes more than five hundred pages of material previously deleted, along with new material that King added as he reworked the manuscript for a new generation. It gives us new characters and endows familiar ones with new depths. It has a new beginning and a new ending.

What emerges is a gripping work with the scope and moral complexity of a true epic.
For hundreds of thousands of fans who read "The Stand in its original version and wanted more, this new edition is Stephen King's gift. And those who are reading "The Stand for the first time will discover a triumphant and eerily plausible work of the imagination that takes on the issues that will determine our survival. [image error]
This is one book that’s left a lasting impression on me and I love picking it up and reading it all over again and again. How quickly and easily greed, corruption and playing the Hand of God can bring humanity to its knees and even with the possibility of their total extinction. That thought is not that far fetched with all the stuff that’s being done today, all in the name science. Hah!!!!!!!!The plot line which is divided into three parts/books follows the experiences of the plague survivors before, during and after the catastrophe and the roles they play in the story. It’s dark, intense, terrifying and uplifting…there’s hope, faith, religion, love, hate, fear, fate and redemption. A suspenseful and emotional build-up to the final face-off of good versus evil. There’s a meaning to everything that happens in the story – the betrayals, the dreams, death and births. There is nothing random in anything.

But it’s the realistic and deep characterization that’s astonishing. Complex and well developed characters that leap off the pages. It gives us a deeper understanding using the viewpoints of many of the characters – their back stories show the differences in the morality of humankind.
The vivid descriptions make the plot and characters so real and believable.

There are so many great characters in this story that some have left a lasting impression on me.
[image error][image error]

Stu Redman, a quiet, moral and unassuming character that inspires people to continue their fight against evil.
“Men who find themselves late are never sure. They are all the things the civics books tell us the good citizen should be: partisans but never zealots, respecters of the facts which attend each situation but never benders of those facts, uncomfortable in positions of leadership but rarely unable to turn down a responsibility once it has been offered . . . or thrust upon them. They make the best leaders in a democracy because they are unlikely to fall in love with power.”

(view spoiler)
Abigail Freemantle, 108 years old and believed to be the oldest person and survivor in the world and claims to be God’s prophet and is instrumental in bringing the good forces together.
[image error]

“God doesn't bribe, child. He just makes a sign and lets people take it as they will.”
“The Lord provides strength, not taxicabs.”
And a fine answer to why God had chosen her to be the messenger of God
“...you'll find that God often chooses to speak through the dying and the insane...A healthy person might be apt to filter the divine message, to alter it with his or her own personality. In other words, a healthy person might make a shitty prophet.”
And then there’s Randall Flagg also known as the Dark Man, The Walking Dude, friendly, smiling and helpful… but one can sense the evil and darkness behind that facade – a true villain.
 photo Randall_Flagg_by_Clayman84_zps4f9dfc66.jpg

A demon wearing a denim jacket that displays a button of a pig wearing a cop’s cap one the one lapel and the other with a smiling face button.

The sound that his well-worn, sharp-toed cowboy boots make as he walks the prison corridors to “save” Lloyd Heinrich. A face of true and dark evil.

photo images3_zps10819083.jpg

“He was known, well known, along the highways in hiding that are traveled by the poor and the mad, by the professional revolutionaries and by those who have been taught to hate so well that their hate shows on their faces like harelips and they are unwanted except by others like them, who welcome them to cheap with slogans and posters on the walls, to basements where lengths of sawed-off pipe are held in padded vises while they are stuffed with high explosives, to back rooms where lunatic plans are laid.”

“He’s in the wolves… the crows, the rattlesnake, and the shadow of the owl at midnight and the scorpion at high noon. He roosts upside down with the bats. He’s blind like them.”

(view spoiler)
Because humanity never learns from his mistakes. Bad things that happen are quickly forgotten pushed aside as memories past…and so the circle begins again. An eternal and never-ending battle where neither side wins or loses.

Stu & Frannie, at the end say it all………….
“‘Do you think… do you think people ever learn anything?’
She opened her mouth to speak, hesitated, fell silent. The kerosene lamp flickered. Her eyes seemed very blue.
‘I don’t know,’ she said at last. She seemed unpleased with her answer; she struggled to say something more; to illuminate her first response; and could only say it again:
‘I don’t know.’”
Some more quotes I really liked -
“There's precious little reform in the human race.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stand.

November 5, 2011 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 1, 2013 – Finished Reading
Started Reading
April 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

Karen Wow, great review. I also read this years ago, loved it then. I might just have to pick it up again, your review brought it all back. Nice job!

Alex is The Romance Fox Karen wrote: "Wow, great review. I also read this years ago, loved it then. I might just have to pick it up again, your review brought it all back. Nice job!"

Thanks Karen. Yes, I love this book. I just keep re-reading it and still it never gets old or boring.

Sophia Triad I absolutely love this book! Great review Alex :) x

Kaceey Fantastic review Alex!

Alex is The Romance Fox Sophia wrote: "I absolutely love this book! Great review Alex :) x"
Thanks S....I never get tired reading this book~!!

Alex is The Romance Fox Maddie wrote: "Superb review, Alex :)"

Thx Maddie:)

Alex is The Romance Fox Kaceey wrote: "Fantastic review Alex!"

Thanks very much Kaceey!!
:D

message 8: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Terrific review, Alex! xoxo

Alex is The Romance Fox Nazanin wrote: "Terrific review, Alex! xoxo"

Thx Nazanin:D

message 10: by Lala_Loopsie (new)

Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen] Brilliant review, Alex!!

Cyndi This is, by far, one of my favorite books of all time!! Great review!

Alex is The Romance Fox Lala_Loopsie wrote: "Brilliant review, Alex!!"

Thanks LL :)

Alex is The Romance Fox Cyndi wrote: "This is, by far, one of my favorite books of all time!! Great review!"
Thanks Cyndi. Same for me....Did you ever watch the TV Series...?
I've watched twice..not great but not bad. It starred Rob Lowe, Molly Ringwald and a bunch of other actors..Even Stephen King makes a quickie appearance at the end...
:))

Candace Fabulous review, Alex! :)

Alex is The Romance Fox Candace wrote: "Fabulous review, Alex! :)"

Thanks very much Candace:))

Cyndi I did watch the show years ago. Pretty good, I'll have to watch it again. Thanks for reminding me of it! 😄

Alex is The Romance Fox Cyndi wrote: "I did watch the show years ago. Pretty good, I'll have to watch it again. Thanks for reminding me of it! 😄"
I watched a few months ago..It's a bit dated but I still liked it.

message 18: by Renégade ♥ (last edited Apr 20, 2017 09:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renégade ♥ “Show me a man or woman alone and I’ll show you a saint. Give me two and they’ll fall in love. Give me three and they’ll invent the charming thing we call ‘society.’ Give me four and they’ll build a pyramid.

Give me five and they’ll make one an outcast. Give me six and they’ll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they’ll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.”

So much food for thought in this one...

This is one of my favorites by SK. I read it many moons ago and definitely plan to reread it again in future. Some powerful stuff here.

Fantastic review, Alex :)

message 19: by KAS (new)

KAS Super great review, Alex ! So glad you enjoyed ;)) xox

Alex is The Romance Fox Renégade ♥ wrote: "“Show me a man or woman alone and I’ll show you a saint. Give me two and they’ll fall in love. Give me three and they’ll invent the charming thing we call ‘society.’ Give me four and they’ll build ..."
Thanks R....this is one of my all time fav books ever!!

Alex is The Romance Fox KAS wrote: "Super great review, Alex ! So glad you enjoyed ;)) xox"

Barbara Great review Alex.

Alex is The Romance Fox Barbara wrote: "Great review Alex.
I agree that this is one of King's best books. I re-read it every now and again too."

Thanks B............it seems as if most people find this SK best book!!
Have a fab weekend:)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Fantastic review Alex! xoxo

Alex is The Romance Fox SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Fantastic review Alex! xoxo"
Thanks SB :))

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz FAB review!!! I haven't read much Stephen King and I think I need to! :)

Alex is The Romance Fox Elizabeth wrote: "FAB review!!! I haven't read much Stephen King and I think I need to! :)"

This is the best one...if you ever read SK./...then The Stand is the one............:)

message 28: by Treece (new)

Treece Wonderful review, Alex! Well done!

Alex is The Romance Fox Treece wrote: "Wonderful review, Alex! Well done!"

Thanks very much Treece!

Clarissa Emiria This is the best and most thoughtful review <3 Stunning :-D
One point though, your quote about Stu Redman, wasn't that something the Judge said about Larry (to Lucy I believe)? 🤔 Or am I way off my mark here? xD I just seem to hear it in the Judge's voice but I only ever listened to the audiobook, so I might remember wrong xD

Alex is The Romance Fox Clarissa Emiria wrote: "This is the best and most thoughtful review <3 Stunning :-D

Thanks Clarissa for your feedback. If I remember, it's the Judge saying about Stu....I'm going to check it out....:)))

message 32: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review hun :)

Alex is The Romance Fox Jessica's wrote: "Great review hun :)"

Thanks my dear Jessica:))