Jason , etc.'s Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

Nov 05, 2011

liked it
Read in August, 2013

While one might argue that listening to the audio version robs you of the pleasure of seeing the photos in the book, the counter argument (that ultimately wins the day) is that you're offered the bonus of having said pictures described by Jenny Lawson. Even after having read her blog off and on through the years, I can still safely say that this book enlightened me to things previously unknown about both her family and her vagina (if you've read her blog(s), you'll understand what an achievement this is). She has a very unique gift for being able to mix the funny with the poignant in near-perfect ratios and her tone never comes across as either condescending or laced with 'poor me' sentimentality.

The blogging world has definitely thinned over the years. If I had to provide an explanation for her longevity, I'd guess that it involves her having a great narrative and the talent necessary to tell it in way that connects with and engages an audience. Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe she sacrifices animals at an alter in her garage to The Internet God, who, in turn, keeps her blog stocked with fresh readers/commenters. In any case, the book is a hoot from start to finish and I HIGHLY recommend listening to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.

10/29/2013 marked as: read