Simon Lindley's Reviews > Kings of the Wyld

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames

72881952

I don't like hype.
It's the go-to sales tool of everything, and it can lead to a lot of disappointment. I can't tell you how many times I've opened a so-called five-star rated title that's been showered with accolades like 'brilliant', 'epic', 'page-turner', or 'book of the year!' and discovered it is nothing of the sort.
At first, I thought this was going to be yet another over-hyped work that didn't live up to the praise. In some ways, that proved correct (thank goodness); in others, the reviews don't do it justice.
Look above. Five stars. This is not something I hand out willie-nillie to every book I read. Far from it. I often don't bother to rate all the one, two, and threes I've tortured myself with, or failed to finish. Before writing this, I considered four stars for Kings of the Wyld because the book wasn't what all the hype said it was. Then I thought about how I honestly felt about it when I arrived at the last line of the epilogue and was able to appreciate what Eames accomplished. But you won't hear hype here. I'm going to strip away the cloying ooze and talk about a good book instead.
This book is funny. No, it's not 'laugh-out-loud hilarious' or will it have you 'bowled over in stitches.' And thank goodness it isn't. Oh, how I hate hyperbole. You'll laugh. At times, you'll love the wit and dark humor. Eames doesn't overdo it. It's a great story, serious more than comic, and the doses of ubiquitous humor are served in teaspoons rather than vats. In other words, he doesn't ruin the plot.
On the subject of plot, this is not a complex tale. Statements like 'weaving intricate brilliance' 'awesome, unexpected plot twists', and 'epic in scope' are totally out in left field, almost laughable, once you've read this book. Instead, it's a somewhat predictable one, which the author makes no apologies about, not one for political intrigue, instead moving the action-packed story forward. It is enjoyable the entire ride, with great, flawed, and diverse characters, a unique premise, and worthy entertainment. Basically, in my view, it's a fantasy version of Spinal Tap, 47 Ronin, and The Dirty Dozen all wrapped into one. I know. It sounds good, doesn't it?
Well, it is.
Picture a bunch of mercenaries in a world where they're the hot rock bands, where the gigs, the bookers, the live stage are all in line with today's heavy metal concerts but with gladiators fighting monsters instead of Lycra-clad, guitar-wielding love gods. Now, add the greatest 'Band' of all time, now disbanded, old, and somewhat domesticated, who are pulled out of retirement for one more epic comeback gig: saving one of the band's daughters from certain death behind the siege lines of the largest horde of fantastical evil beasts ever amassed.
Again, fun. Again, a great story line.
What I liked the most was the humanity within it. It pulls at the heartstrings on occasion. It's vulgar and crude when it wants to be. Body parts are often lopped off, guts are spilled, entrails are unspooled, and there's a fair bit of substance abuse. You know, Heavy Metal comics with an injection of Led Zeppelin. But again, Eames skillfully manages to keep it all real.
This is not epic. This is not hilarious. This is not riveting. It has a bit of each to varying degrees and thus is a book that is a gas to read.
Ignore the hype. Ease up on any of the over-the-top claims, and buy the book. If you like a fun, adventurous, and rewarding take on the fantasy genre, you won't go wrong with Kings of the Wyld.
--- Simon Lindley, author of Mannethorn's Key

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kings of the Wyld.

March 4, 2018 – Started Reading
March 4, 2018 – Shelved
March 12, 2018 –
March 19, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

C.T. Phipps Great review. I love this book for all the same reasons.

Simon Lindley C.T. wrote: "Great review. I love this book for all the same reasons."
Thanks CT!
Yes, it's a really solid, fun book. I'm waiting impatiently for Bloody Rose.