Ami Blackwelder's Reviews > Farsighted

Farsighted by Emlyn Chand

liked it

I have mixed feelings about this book. Farsighted starts with a great premise. A paranormal superpower of seeing into the future and into the distance. Great cover too! For originality it scores stars. And I also wanted to read it for that reason. I like that the main character has a vulnerability, being blond.

BUT I thought this was geared toward adults, the cover even looks like an adult! But actually it is a YA paranormal, about a Sophomore boy who is blind and developed a sixth sense.

What I didn't get was why this impaired boy was in class with seeing kids? Didn't make sense to me. Blind students need to read Braille and are in different schools or at least classrooms than seeing students.

Anyhow, the other aspect I wasn't sure about was when the action would start. I mean when the "gift" becomes important. He has this gift, so I wanted to get to the point. Half way done, and the "gift" serves no real function other than being cool. There is a character Dax whose interwoven into the plot as the eventually point of this gift, but it just felt like all of the interesting drama happened at the last 20 pages.

I wished there would have been an interwoven mystery through-out much of the novel that kept me more on suspense.

But other than that, the last quarter picked up and reminded me a bit of the book Portal with the name Simmi and the pace/flow of it.

I think paranormal fans would like to check this out and some may love it more than me. But for me it was alright.

3 stars out of 5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farsighted.

Finished Reading