Katie's Reviews > Bringing Columbia Home: The Untold Story of a Lost Space Shuttle and Her Crew

Bringing Columbia Home by Michael D. Leinbach

bookshelves: space

"I hate this book!" I probably exclaimed this to my boyfriend 20 times as I forced myself to finish it. Will I read it again? Probably not. Was it worthwhile as a one time read? Yes! I'm also psyched to have it in my space book collection.

Let's back up... the book is a little bit graphic, especially if you don't know much about Columbia like I did. I know tons about the space shuttle fleet, etc, but knew little to nothing about Columbia's accident. I assumed that everything burned up like a pretty star, but, not so much. Definitely not so much.

This book is a little bit technical. For someone who knows nothing about the space shuttle, it might be a little difficult to trudge through details about tiles, materials, locations of parts of the ship. As someone who worked at the space center and is now going to school for Aerospace Technology, it was perfect. I learned a lot of nitty-gritty things.

When I finally finished this "dreaded" book, I took a moment to realize how much I appreciated the read. Life is all about things that we wish that never happened. I know that one first hand... we all do. Failure, disappointment, dread, "worst scenarios possible", things we all hate, and shake our fists at so much. Everyday we live is a gift. This was a read that I had to do, that someone (Mike Leinbach) was soulful enough to share. I'm eternally thankful to read about his experience and everyone else who was involved in this push of the story about human endeavor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Columbia Home.

Started Reading