All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Wake

Nov 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Self-published phenom Amanda Hocking launches her first traditionally published series with WAKE, book one in the Watersong series. This times she sets her sights on beautiful but deadly sirens.

The general plot of WAKE reminded me a lot of The Lost Boys movie. Single parent siblings living in a resort town. One falls in with a mysterious and dangerous crowd, is unknowingly changed and harshly inducted into their world. The other sibling notices changes and seeks out more knowledgeable friends to rescue said sibling and destroy the others. Pretty familiar right? Of course there there are numerous key differences that make the similarities fun instead of rehashed like the fact that it features sisters not brothers, sirens not vampires, and sources it’s mythology back to Poseidon. But WAKE could well be titled THE LOST GIRLS.

Aside from the plot, which I enjoyed, I was a little underwhelmed by the generic writing, especially in the beginning. The POV jumps back and forth between the sisters without any visual indicators so at times I’d have to reread sections when I realized there’d been a switch. Also, the plot takes awhile to get going so a lot of the early scenes drag. Once the girls hone in on Gemma and the siren mythology comes into play, the pacing increased dramatically which made the writing issues less noticeable.

As the first in a planned series, WAKE doesn’t attempt to resolve it’s storyline by the end, rather it sets up the clear focus of the next book in the Watersong series which is titled LULLABY and will be published on November 27th 2012 by St. Martin’s Griffin. I love stories that incorporate Greek Mythology, so I may be back for more.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. Mythological story with references to rape.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wake.