Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk's Reviews > Vicious

Vicious by V.E. Schwab

bookshelves: my-absolute-favorite
Read 2 times. Last read September 11, 2018 to September 24, 2018.

“But these words people threw around - humans, monsters, heroes, villains - to Victor it was all just a matter of semantics.
Someone could call themselves a hero and still walk around killing dozens.
Someone else could be labeled a villain for trying to stop them.
Plenty of humans were monstrous, and plenty of monsters knew how to play at being human.”

Story ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
There’s always the story involving a hero and a villain. Someone who’s good and someone who’s bad.
But who decides on which side you are? Who tells you that you’re the good guy or the evil one?
Well, sometimes it’s your mind telling you that the things you do are right. More or less.
That’s why Eli Ever is killing EOs - extraordinary people with powers - one by one.
And Victor - his former best friend and prisoner for at least ten years - is hunting him down for locking him up.
This book is definitely one of a kind. It’s really slow - like nearly all of Victoria Schwabs books - but the story/characters/world/writing is phenomenal (like always).
There isn’t much happening through the beginning, but we get to know how Eli and Victor met, what happened and we get to see what Victors evil plan is.
I really really liked this book. It was definitely entertaining, even though it had a really slow pacing. I especially liked that the ending and the beginning ended nearly the same.
All in all it’s a real masterpiece and I can’t wait for the second book!

Characters ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Victor Vale is now officially one of my favorite villains/characters. We don’t get to know much about his past (at least what happened before he went to college), but we get to know that he’s extremely intelligent and interesting. My favorite parts were the ones where Victor acted like a real life dad. Caring for his kids (Mitch, Dol and Sydney) and always looking out for them, even though he sometimes does it too strictly.
Then there is Eli. I was really fascinated by him. The way he explains and justifies his murders/actions is kind of fanatic. The way he thinks god is approving everything he does, makes him such an interesting character. He’s always in doubt and tries to finish his “duty”, but is always torn between his own believes and the things he sees and feels.
The “side” characters in this story - Sydney, Mitch and Serena are also brilliantly created. They’re kind of twisted and all of them have their own personality and background story.
All in all Victoria Schwab did a great job creating the characters. They catch your interest immediately and they do feel very real.

World ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Superheroes, villains and sidekicks. There are many worlds involving them. DC, Marvel, we all heard of them, maybe even watched the movies or read the comics.
But in some way they never felt like the real world. But with Victoria’s story “Vicious” it does. It feels like it could happen anytime. Sometime soon there will be other people - extraordinary people that don’t fit into the „normal“ world.
People that survived a near death experience, but survived. They’re all survivors. But surviving something means that you sometimes loose something in the process. You gain and you loose. But you never remain the same.

Relationships ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Oh man oh man. Victoria Schwab was never the author for a fluffy, erotic or passionate love story.
In her stories she focuses more on friendships, families. People you choose to live with.
And in this book we focus on Eli’s and Victors past friendship and the new „family“ Victor found himself. I loved them all and if I was a character living in this book I would definitely be in Team Victor.

Writing style ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Victoria is a mastermind in writing, no doubt in that. But the way she slows her pacing is sometimes a little bit dragging. It was still a brilliant book that jumps through the time - from past to present - and has different POVs, that make the story so much more intriguing and interesting, but it would’ve easily been a five star book if the pacing would be a little faster.

First reread ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I still love this book so much. Absolute favorite ♥️

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vicious.

March 3, 2018 – Shelved
March 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 11, 2018 – Started Reading
March 11, 2018 –
1.0% "Starting this masterpiece with my book bestie ♥️

March 11, 2018 –
10.0% " Her eyes danced between his hand and her sleeve, and back again.
„I’m cold.“ she said.
„I’m Victor.“ he said, and she offered him a small, exhausted flicker of a smile.

I already love Victor 😎"
March 16, 2018 –
21.0% " “I want to believe that there’s more.
That we could be more.
Hell, we could be heroes.”

Who wants to be a hero when you can be a villain? 🍷"
March 20, 2018 –
35.0% " “I don’t know who you are, but you’re not Victor. You’re something that’s crawled into his skin. A devil wearing him.”
“Ouch,” said Victor, and for some reason, the word made him laugh.
He couldn’t stop laughing.

Finally! The evil laugh! 😈"
March 25, 2018 –
60.0% " “Because you don’t think I’m a bad person,” he said. “And I don’t want to prove you wrong.”

Victor is a great dad ♥️
Mitch, Dol and Sydney are his babies 💕
👧🏼🧔🏻🐶

🤷🏻‍♀️"
March 26, 2018 –
75.0% " “He’s not a bad man,” she said.
“There are no good men in this game,”
March 27, 2018 –
93.0% " “She’d told her to go somewhere safe.
And over the course of the last year week, safe had ceased to be a place for Sydney, and had become a person.
Specifically, safe had become Victor.”

♥️"
March 27, 2018 – Finished Reading
June 6, 2018 – Shelved as: my-absolute-favorite
September 11, 2018 – Started Reading
September 11, 2018 –
1.0% "Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good,
But between bad and worse.
- Joseph Brodsky

It’s reread-time 🎉

September 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Ninosy  (Wonder Woman) the best book EVER .. <3

marysscript So happy you liked it! ❤️ Felt the same about the pacing, but really loved it. 😊

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk Ninosy wrote: "the best book EVER .. <3"

Yes it was awesome!

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk Bojana wrote: "i have to read this!!! It's been on my tbr for ages
Amazing review as always 😍"

Hope you love this! :)) thank you ☺️💕

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk marysscript wrote: "So happy you liked it! ❤️ Felt the same about the pacing, but really loved it. 😊"

Oh girl you’re the reason I read it! 💕 I’m so happy we have the same book taste ☺️

message 6: by Misha (new)

Misha Thumbs to the review!! Guess I’ll have to read this :)

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk Misha wrote: "Thumbs to the review!! Guess I’ll have to read this :)"

Thank you! :)) I hope you like it! :D

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party Jessi! This review is pure awesomeness! :D

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party wrote: "Jessi! This review is pure awesomeness! :D"

Thank you :D I'm really happy that you like my review :))

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Wonderful review, Jessi! Glad you enjoyed :) <3