Shannon's Reviews > Earthrise

Earthrise by M.C.A. Hogarth

F 50x66

Last year, after I read Becky Chambers's entire backlist, (all two of them!) I was incredibly sad that I couldn't find any space operas where good people are rewarded, people are generally nice to each other, and the galaxy is pictured as diverse. I ended up settling for much more second-rate fare. If only I had known that M.C.A. Hogarth's Pelted books awaited me. Because Earthrise is exactly what I was looking for.

What makes this book wonderful are the characters. Reese Eddings, the captain of the space freighter Earthrise, is my favorite type of heroine--prickly, stoic, grumpy, but secretly a giant marshmallow. I loved that she read romance novels in her spare time, and she's not mocked for doing so. I see some reviewers describing her as "immature" and "TSTL," but I don't think she is. She's stubborn, sure, but she acts on the information available to her at the time, and some of her stubbornness simply translates to not being willing to accommodate the whims of everyone else in the world, a trait we admire in heroes but vilify in heroines. I'm just saying.

That said, Hirianthial, the other major character, who is essentially a space elf, was also my catnip. I love me a good angsty hero who is genuinely a kind person trying to make the world a better place, who essentially spends the book in need of a hug. I loved the push and pull between him and Reese, and it looks as if there's a romance brewing, although it doesn't come to anything in this first book.

The other characters, from the hilarious and amorous Sascha and Irene to the inegmatic Briar to the flitzbe, which is essentially a more intelligent tribble, round out the cast beautifully. I loved their interactions, and I got a good sense of all of them.

The pacing worked for me. There's plenty of adventure, but also lots of quiet, introspecgtive moments. I loved the glimpses of the galaxy that we got, and the different ways that characters related to each other. The thing about romance is that, no matter how dark the journey gets, you know you get an HEA. And so much of the SFF I hear about is incredibly dark. So it's nice to find a series like this, where the message is positive and I don't have to spend the book in a state of nail-biting anxiousness because I'm afrraid the author's going to pull a George R. R. Martin.

I've already got the second book on my Kindle, and I'm planning to get into it right away.

I've been feeling kind of wary of stepping back into the pool of straight-up SFF.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earthrise.

March 3, 2018 – Started Reading