C.G. Drews's Reviews > Someday, Somewhere

Someday, Somewhere by Lindsay Champion

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2018, young-adult

Omg this was an absolute excellent and heart shredding book. All I knew going in was it's about MUSIC, and being a musician who writes about music and also spent my entire teenagerdom listening to Beethoven on repeat...oh hello there book. You are mine. It absolutely didn't disappoint and I was so teary at the end.

(Also random fun fact but as I was reading the acknowledgements I realised this author is with the same literary agency as meeee and our debuts are both about music so am I allowed to fangirl like the cute dork I am? I shall.)

+ So it's about music and mental illness and wanting more.
I reeeally loved it. I think the music aspect was done super well. It wasn't very detailed but it still felt authentic and all the parts where Ben was playing were excellent. His obsession and drivenness and complete lack of caring for ANYTHING but music was intoxicating to read about. Basically this book is addictive.

+ It's actually dual narrated by Ben and Dominique.
Ben is a rich musical prodigy and Dom is super poor and watching her mum struggle to run a laundromat and has had to give up her dream of being a dancer due to money. (She's also half Ecuadorian.) Dom and Ben meet at a concert and then -- SPARKS. Honestly their get-together-story was sooo cute. They had to find each other again with no details or names and ajfdklsad. It was totally adorable.

+ I also loved them BOTH.
Score for me, who usually only likes one of two narrators. But Dom was so winning! She just wants things but she's scared to think she deserves to want things??? And watching her character development of figuring out what she deserves was amazing. <3 I do admit that Ben's story was a little more intoxicating...because you can see he's slowly unwinding but you're not sure what's going on. Look I don't believe that mental illnesses are "spoilers" BUT the whole story is about Ben not knowing, so I'm going to tag it --> (view spoiler) Anyway Ben was amazing, although really conceited, so sometimes you want to slap him, but you also want him to be ok.

+ I also loved the pacing of the book...it was speeding up at the end but there's a reason.
The whole book felt like someone playing a piece of music and getting faster and faster and faster -- ADN THEN THE STRING SNAPS. It was excellent.

+ My only complaint??
I think the ending was just a little unbalanced. I don't want to give spoilers, but I just felt Dom's story came to a close and Ben's didn't??? It totally doesn't diminish my love of the book, though!

Honestly this book is amazing and I totally loved the combination of music and meetcutes and two teens who just want more from their life. It gave me ALL THE FEELS and even now I'm just sitting here with heart eyes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someday, Somewhere.

March 3, 2018 – Shelved
March 3, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 6, 2018 – Started Reading
March 6, 2018 –
12.0% "tHIS IS ABOUT MUSIC!! Considering I write about music and play music and sometimes eat music for breakfast, I am excited to read more of it.😍"
March 7, 2018 –
60.0% "Basically this book is a contest between Ben and Dom to see who can make THE MOST BAD DECISIONS IN THE QUICKEST AMOUNT OF TIME. Bless them."
March 8, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
March 8, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
March 8, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Awesome review, babe <3 xoxo

C.G. Drews Thanks!

Cassandra I'm reading this right now and loving it!! Glad you enjoyed it. :)