Elise (TheBookishActress)'s Reviews > Exit Strategy

Exit Strategy by Martha Wells

It was very dramatic, like something out of a historical adventure serial. Also correct in every aspect except for all the facts, like something out of a historical adventure serial.

Amazing. As always.

I’ve written a full review for the Murderbot series before, so I guess the biggest thing I have to say about this conclusion novella is that it sticks to everything it has already succeeded at. This series is… so much fun, and also one of my favorite examples of playing with tropes I’ve ever seen.

Robots-turning-human stories often utilize the trope of the robot falling in love. This is a trope we have all read before and been annoyed by before. This series? No romance. No romantic feelings. Murderbot is growing feelings, yes, but platonic feelings.

The thing I really, really, really like about these is how they play with the trope of the close-to-human-being who reads as non-neurotypical. I think often when books use or incite this trope, it’s for a side character or evil character, and it just kind of reads awful. But I personally love this trope when done well.

I think neuroatypical people are very, very used to seeing themselves in mostly villains. But more importantly, I think we are very used to seeing ourselves as outsiders - we project ourselves onto characters who are considered monstrous by the rest of the world because they don’t feel in the same way everyone else does.

That’s… me, and it has always been me. I obsess over media because it is one of the lenses through which I first saw the world. I avoid being emotional in front of other people because I have taught myself to hide my emotions. I overcommunicate and feel too much [had to get that Hayley Kiyoko reference in]. But I am also a human being, even if it’s sometimes hard for people to see me as such.
So though it may sound weird, the fact that this series writes a character who reads as somewhat non-neurotypical, but is not villainized for this, and is constantly framed as a good person trying to do their best - that means a lot to me.

Well, and also they’re really funny. It was just announced that Martha Wells is coming out with more, and I honestly cannot wait.

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Youtube

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exit Strategy.

March 3, 2018 – Shelved
July 4, 2018 – Shelved as: faves-of-2018
July 4, 2018 – Shelved as: genre-scifi-dystopias
July 4, 2018 – Shelved as: genre-series-books
July 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Alexa you... you read this already???

I'm so jealous :( I requested the third one on NetGalley but it's still pending :(

Elise (TheBookishActress) @Alexa yes, I got a physical arc from the publisher! and that sucks - Netgalley is super frustrating :((

Alexa Elise wrote: "@Alexa yes, I got a physical arc from the publisher! and that sucks - Netgalley is super frustrating :(("

I'm so upset omg. I requested the second and third novellas at the same time months ago, I was accepted for the second and reviewed it, but the third remained pending. now I checked the page and the third still shows up in "pending" but I can only wish for it?! like, I was able to request it earlier and I already did?! this is just silly :(