Chris (The Genre Fiend)'s Reviews > Green Lantern: Earth One, Volume 1

Green Lantern by Gabriel Hardman

it was ok
Read 2 times. Last read April 2, 2018 to April 3, 2018.

So I was originally going to go with 3 stars, but as I read to the end I felt my engagement ebbing. I'm an advocate for the Earth One line, but I just couldn't get behind Green Lantern as anything other than a fairly shallow, well-drawn but narrative-poor oddity.

A key success of the good Earth One titles has been the ability to take on familiar heroes and make enough different about them to separate them from their main continuity counterparts (see: Batman sucking at his job, Wonder Woman's changed heritage). Green Lantern accomplishes that by making Hal Jordan a depressed drone for a mining company on the Moon, rather than a cocky Air Force test pilot, but by and large the story is the fairly predictable superhero origin tale of a superpowered rookie taking on an army of killer robots. It's not a bad tale by any means, but it lacks enough in its originality to stand out on its own merits, and as an Earth One entry.

Art is pretty decent - very Alex Maleev-inspired. Not enough to elevate the story, though I do appreciate the lack of over-narrating the action and inner thoughts of our hero (a problem plaguing much of the genre right now).

Not bad for a quick page turn, but nowhere near Earth One's best.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Lantern.

Finished Reading