C.G. Drews's Reviews > Tiffany Sly Lives Here Now

Tiffany Sly Lives Here Now by Dana L. Davis

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult, read-2018, mental-illness

I feel like someone just threw an entire box of COMPLICATED EMOTIONS at me. This book made me very angry at times, but also I'm intensely impressed with it and absolutely loved Tiffany like nothing else!! I raged at the bad and cheered for the good...a lot went down ok. It's a lot to digest.

The story follows Tiffany Sly who's going to live with her estranged dad. She doesn't know he has kids though, so it's like BOOM she gets hit with an instant family. And I'm not even kidding: her dad is an absolute "holier than thou" asshole. He made me so angry. He's superrich and a Jehovah's Witness, so he hides his horribleness behind all these "rules". The levels of frustration and murderous anger I had were...um, pretty high.

It made me so sick/angry because this abusive controlling toxic masculinity is hidden behind "being a good parent" and it's sooo wrong. Obviously that's what the book's about! But there are a lot of forgiveness themes and...I don't quite agree that you need to forgive cruel people.

Trigger warning for autism abuse though. I think it was unnecessary. It was only there, I guess, to underline how horrible the dad was (faking being good and just "strict") but the ASD rep (as an autistic here) wasn't great anyway and you could've taken it out without affecting the storyline so WHY have it in there. It made me, personally, feel really sick. They spanked/whipped the autistic 2yo and wanted her "cured" asap and this is not exactly rebuffed later.😒😒😒

Can I say how much I loved Tiffany. She has anxiety and OCD and I just so felt for her, and also related to her anxiety levels. It's so well written and she's such an amazing person. She's grieving but also trying to make it work with this family that HORRIFIES her a lot. But she also kind of likes her new sisters! Wants a nice dad! (WHERE IS HE THO.) And she doesn't get crushed by her new circumstances (though I would say her new family is abusive in a different way). I felt so much for her.

It also discusses religion and beliefs very deeply, which I admit is not my favourite topic, but it was interesting to read.

The writing absolutely kept me captivated. Perfect pacing and I never wanted to look away. Plus it just kept the emotional tension up so high. I felt engaged and addicted the whole time. There's the subplot of there's another guy who is claiming to be Tiffany's father and she's like ?????? So you can imagine the stress of that as well.

OTHER THINGS TO KNOW:
☆ Tiffany is Black + her new family is biracial
☆ it basically has no romance! but maaaybe hints of one
☆ Marcus, the next-door neighbour black boy who paints his face white and is uber weird, is ADORABLE and I did like him
☆ great anxiety rep a+
☆ it balances fun and light scenes and devastating ones
☆ all the secondary characters were so dimensional

This is definitely the kind of contemporary that's going to stay with me. It's an emotional explosion though, and I raged a lot at so many sections. It made me livid what Tiffany had to go through. It's definitely a book about bad things happening to good people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiffany Sly Lives Here Now.

March 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 2, 2018 – Shelved
May 2, 2018 – Started Reading
May 3, 2018 –
55.0% "this book is MADNESS. I love Tiffany! I love the writing! But hate her parents sooo bad (they literally abuse their autistic toddler "for her own good") so that's making me feel a bit sick. But I think they're supposed to be evil-pretending-to-be-good??"
May 3, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
May 3, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 3, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
May 3, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 8, 2018 – Shelved as: mental-illness

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Thank you for the very detailed review. I was unsure whether to purchase this book and you have made me very curious about it. I just purchased her book on Amazon about the twin sisters.

message 2: by Ananya V. (new) - added it

Ananya V. What an amazing review!