Fiona's Reviews > Our Homesick Songs

Our Homesick Songs by Emma Hooper

bookshelves: e-books, netgalley, general-fiction

A gentle, moving story about the demise of a Newfoundland fishing community and the stresses the loss of their traditional livelihood had on families who had made their living for generations by fishing there.

Our Homesick Songs alternates between two years, 1974 and 1992/3. The latter is significant because 1992 was the year in which the Canadian government suspended cod fishing off the Newfoundland coast. The big factory ships had decimated stocks, as they also did in Scotland, and they needed time to recover. Aidan Connor and Martha Murphy fell in love in 1974. In 1992, their relationship was strained by the necessity of working away from home in alternate months from each other. Their children, Finn and Cora, reacted in different ways to the problems facing their community and their parents, with both trying to find their own way to help the family and their community to survive.

Old folk songs and folk memories are interwoven into the story hence the title of the book. Whilst addressing serious issues, it’s a warming tale of relationships and of the power of music to create a bond between people. I really enjoyed it.

With thanks to NetGalley and Penguin Books UK for a free review copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Homesick Songs.

March 2, 2018 – Shelved
March 12, 2018 –
page 214
March 13, 2018 – Shelved as: general-fiction
March 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Fiona,

I am taken with this review. You have drawn me in and I would enjoy reading if not listening to this book. It plays to me.

Thanks,

Fiona Jamie wrote: "Fiona,

Thanks,"

I’m pleased to hear it, Jamie. I’d hope you would enjoy it as much as I did.

message 3: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Wonderful review, Fiona! This is an add to my wishlist for me!

Fiona Jaline wrote: "Wonderful review, Fiona! This is an add to my wishlist for me!"

Thank you, Jaline. I hope you enjoy it too.