Hope's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

bookshelves: foreign-fiction

Very good, but painful, as are most books centered in the middle of a terrible war. This took me a long time to read (by my usual standards) and I could not read large sections at once. Since the book is told by Death as a sort of flashback, you know from the start that some characters will die, and since it is war in Germany, you know that others will most likely die. But it is still wrenching, after you have been introduced and have come to care about the people trying to live the best lives they can in a terrible time and place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

May 28, 2008 – Shelved
August 22, 2011 – Started Reading
August 31, 2011 –
page 136
September 1, 2011 –
page 145
September 2, 2011 –
page 145
26.17% "This is really slow going for me right now. It isn't that I don't like it, but it is just...difficult."
September 7, 2011 –
page 160
September 12, 2011 –
page 221
September 19, 2011 –
page 281
September 27, 2011 –
page 345
62.27% "Trying to finish this by Friday, so I can record it as a September book. And so I can get on to other things."
September 28, 2011 –
page 355
September 29, 2011 –
page 379
September 30, 2011 – Shelved as: foreign-fiction
September 30, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Hilary (new) - added it

Hilary Ooh, I've been meaning to read that one! Will be interested to hear what you think!

Hope Well, so far, I am having a hard time getting interested. But I think that is more me than the book, since I can't seem to be interested in any of the books I am trying to read.