Miranda Reads's Reviews > Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology

Troublemaker by Leah Remini

bookshelves: youtube-or-celebrity, 2018-finer-books-club-reading-chall, audiobook

If the Church Cult of Scientology doesn't horrify you, then you don't know enough.
By their actions, they will show you who they are.
Leah Remini was indoctrinated into the Cult at a young age by her mother. Her mother, stuck in an abusive relationship, broke free with the help of the "benevolent" Cult. Little did she know that she was signing away her family's freedom.

As a result, Leah spent many of her formative years internalizing and projecting their beliefs. Her "basic training" consisted of cleaning and housekeeping - working dozens of hours beyond what was legal for a 14 year old. She was so convinced that this was the way to goodness that anyone who tried to say otherwise only caused her to dig her heals in deeper.

She realizes that things don't add up only when she gets older and more into mainstream media. The core principles she studied for decades are thrown away by the higher-ups (*cough* *cough* Tom Cruise). And there are rumors about torture and people disappearing that are becoming more real by the day.

No one wants to give her answers and when she becomes outspoken, she is interrogated beyond what anyone would consider humane. Her interrogations/"truth sessions" lasted for upwards of twelve hours a day. She'd have to pay 'repercussion' fees and publicly apologize for things that the Cult said she did wrong.

This book is absolutely fascinating. Her life within and her break out captivated me. I literally could continue my review for pages and pages. Highly, highly recommended if you are looking for a memoir but are tired of the dishy-trashy ones or the woe-is-me sort.

Just take the first chapter for example. Leah states why she is sharing her story. She hopes to educate the public and reach out to those on the verge of leaving the Cult. She knows that she cannot help the true believers and she knows what will happen to her once she publishes this book,
I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT when this book comes out, Scientologists will scream about religious intolerance, say that I am a liar, that I was kicked out of the church, and call Troublemaker the work of a hateful bigot or a self-absorbed person...What they will likely not do, however, is actually read this book, because that would be going against one of the basic tenets of Scientology. A member should not read or watch anything generated by someone whom the church approves.
It's a real-life horror story

Audiobook Comments
She read her own book and wow. I have not been so impressed by the tone/inflection in a long time. Such great job. Boosted this book from a 4.5 to a 5.0.

The Finer Books Club - 2018 Reading Challenge: A book where the font of the author's name is larger than the title

Blog | Instagram | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troublemaker.

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Aranda I have been curious about whether to read this book or not. Think I might now.

Miranda Reads Yes!! I was completely absorbed by this book.

Joey If you're interested in "cults" read up on Prem Rawat and the Millennium 73 event. Serious revisionism over the years.

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew McAndrew Interesting. Sounds like something I would read!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Wonderful review, Miranda!

message 6: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey Sounds a little like Jonestown.

message 7: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Sounds good. I haven't read it yet, but I also think Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief sounds interesting.

Bella +1 for audiobook notes. I feel like audiobooks would be such a great idea, but I can never get into them. Since this format actually boosted your score, I'll have to add it to my shelf

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

fantastic review, miranda! i'm definitely curious about this one.

Miranda Reads Joey wrote: "If you're interested in "cults" read up on Prem Rawat and the Millennium 73 event. Serious revisionism over

I've never heard of those. Thank you for adding to the rabbit hole. I'll def have to check that out!

Miranda Reads Matthew wrote: "Interesting. Sounds like something I would read!"

It certainly was! If you do pick it up, be sure to let me know what you think!

Miranda Reads Diane wrote: "Wonderful review, Miranda!"

thank you very much!

Miranda Reads Audrey wrote: "Sounds a little like Jonestown."

Hmmm, I think I'll have to do some digging.... down the rabbit hole I go!

Miranda Reads Alexandra wrote: "Sounds good. I haven't read it yet, but I also think Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief sounds interesting."

Miranda Reads Bella wrote: "+1 for audiobook notes. I feel like audiobooks would be such a great idea, but I can never get into them. Since this format actually boosted your score, I'll have to add it to my shelf"

Miranda Reads paulie wrote: "fantastic review, miranda! i'm definitely curious about this one."

You should totally give it a shot. I didn't realize Scientology was such an issue until now.

message 17: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Miranda wrote: "Ooooo! I saw that one at the library. Definitely going to check it out now! Thanks for the suggestion :)"

Welcome! If you get to it before I do I'll be interested to hear what you think :D

message 18: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Miranda wrote: "I love listening to audiobooks when I'm cleaning or cooking. It helps me stay focused :) most states have a digital library (via overdrive) that lets you check out audiobooks and download them to your phone. I love it and I'm addicted!"

I love audiobooks too! I listen when I'm doing housework or yardwork, when driving, when shopping, and sometimes even at work, depending on what I'm doing. It sure makes boring tasks and waiting on things much better.

message 19: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Great review. Very interesting topic. Thanks for the insight:)

message 20: by Miranda (last edited Mar 09, 2018 05:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Miranda Reads Alexandra wrote: "Welcome! If you get to it before I do I'll be interested to hear what you ..."

And if you do, make sure to write a review! I definitely want to hear your thoughts!

I swear, we are like twins with the audiobook thing. Literally everywhere i go i bring my audio. 😊😊😊

Miranda Reads Danielle wrote: "Great review. Very interesting topic. Thanks for the insight:)"

Thank you! It's a crazy world out there!

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis Awesome review! That cult used to have this building here in LA that swear looked like Castle Dracula.

message 23: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread Excellent review Miranda! This is such a crazy cult! I have so much respect for her coming out about all the atrocities that have been covered up in the name of religion! All those high profile followers and L.Hubbard was a Sci-Fi writer before he came out with his infamous book!! I watched quite a bit of her tv series on this. I just have such a hard time with this subject!! Wah! Wah! Lol

Miranda Reads Maddie wrote: "Superb review, Miranda"

Miranda Reads Tom wrote: "Awesome review! That cult used to have this building here in LA that swear looked like Castle Dracula."

foreshadowing....? :P

Miranda Reads Luvtoread wrote: "Excellent review Miranda! This is such a crazy cult! I have so much respect for her coming out about all the atrocities that have been covered up in the name of religion! All those high profile fol..."

Totally agree. It's insane. And she was brave to do that after so many years under their thumb!

message 27: by RedemptionDenied (new)

RedemptionDenied Excellent review, Miranda!

message 28: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey I almost got PTSD just from reading Escape. I know a few of the people mentioned in it. (They're good guys.)

message 29: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis Miranda wrote: "Tom wrote: "Awesome review! That cult used to have this building here in LA that swear looked like Castle Dracula."

foreshadowing....? :P"

Hahaha! My thoughts exactly!

Miranda Reads RedemptionDenied wrote: "Excellent review, Miranda!"

Thank you!

Miranda Reads Audrey wrote: "I almost got PTSD just from reading Escape. I know a few of the people mentioned in it. (They're good guys.)"

Whoa. That one sounds horrifying and incredible. I'll have up read it

message 32: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Audrey wrote: "I almost got PTSD just from reading Escape. I know a few of the people mentioned in it. (They're good guys.)"

I get that. I've known (just through some internet interaction) some involved in the Jessop situation.

I haven't read it yet, but this was written by someone I knew for a bit via the internet, about his life in the FLDS and getting out: Illegitimate: How a Loving God Rescued a Son of Polygamy

message 33: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey My former boss set up a foundation to help people leaving (since they're penniless if they do) or kicked out (especially young men who are seen as competition for the women.)

message 34: by Alexandra (last edited Mar 10, 2018 03:12PM) (new) - added it

Alexandra Audrey wrote: "My former boss set up a foundation to help people leaving (since they're penniless if they do) or kicked out (especially young men who are seen as competition for the women.)"

That's so nice! Yes, I've heard some really heartbreaking stories about young men and boys and getting kicked out.

message 35: by Felicia (new)

Felicia I love Leah 💖💖 great review

Miranda Reads I never really knew her but now I want to! Definitely going to have to watch some of her episodes now :)

BokaniSak*BookWhore Great review!

Miranda Reads Thank you :)