Erica Russikoff's Reviews > Kiss Me Like You Mean It

Kiss Me Like You Mean It by J.R. Rogue

12063057

I'm ashamed to admit that I've had this book for weeks and am just now reviewing it. Honestly, I needed to think about it. I needed time to process. Gwen was not an easy person to like and yet I liked her. Why? I just got her. She had been abused. She was depressed. She hated herself. She was ugly, sloppy, and weak (her words, not mine). She sought distance in relationships. She self-sabotaged. She was flawed. And I could relate to her completely. In getting to know Gwen, I felt like I got to know a part of myself too.

Being an editor, I tend to read books differently than most. Sure, I spot grammatical errors, but I also evaluate the story from the standpoint of an author. Why would the author write this scene this way? Why use these words? Why organize the events in this order? I can tell that every decision Jen made was a deliberate choice. I can also tell she struggled writing this. She's opened herself up with this book, has shown her vulnerability for all to see. That takes guts. She lived her story. She wrote her story. She shared her story. Courage, Jen. You have a wealth of it.

Jen stayed true to herself in her story and, just as importantly, with her voice. You can tell that Jen is a poet. Her writing is very lyrical. She was careful with her wording, describing just enough without giving everything away. She used words like "stain" and "weapon" and "darkness" knowing her readers would get the meaning and understand Gwen's pain.

This book was work. It was not an easy read. But that's one of the reasons why I like it. This book addresses things that I wish more authors would shine a light on. Mental health being number one. "My life was sepia and my tongue was that of a serpent." Because when you're hurting, sometimes all you can do is hurt others, because hurt is all you know. Such is the case with depression. Thank you, Jen, for making it more than just "sadness."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss Me Like You Mean It.

Finished Reading