C.G. Drews's Reviews > Only Mostly Devastated

Only Mostly Devastated by Sophie Gonzales

bookshelves: 5-star, contemporary, young-adult, ya-male-narrators, read-2020

You know what? I just simply adored this. I'm heart-eyes over it, but also in awe, because it tackled so many complex and serious topics AND managed to be an adorkable romcom that squished the air out of my lungs so many times. No, no, I genuinely had to put it down and scream at one stage. Out loud. You know a book is absolutely fantastic when it makes you feel absolutely e v e r y t h i n g the characters are feeling.

omfg, Ollie, I was with you in that moment at the end. We exploded together. (view spoiler)

...is it too early to declare a book a favourite for 2020? No? Good. because here.

[the cute]
first off, this book is goddamn adorable. Ollie is the kind of narrator who is all gangly arms and unfortunate moments and has the softest heart of gold. His family recently totally uprooted themselves to move closer to his dying aunt, and he babysits his little cousins all the time, plus is there for his aunt, plus lost like...his whole life. And he just keeps on keeping on. You can't keep this kid down, I swear. And he's totally a social dork (i love him) but he manages to make friends at his new school with three girls who seem close, but also at odds. And lo and behold: his summer fling named Will who ghosted him goes to this school too.

it's a recipe for disaster, quips, banter, and adorkable catastrophes.

I laughed, I feel in love with the characters, I wanted to cry. I just went through it all.

[the heavy]
Look, this book deals with family grief, of the anxiety of watching someone dying, and it felt really respectful and weighted how it talked about it. I LIKE when books know how to do the cute funny scenes, but also segue into serious moments. And this book is also so massively about being queer and being closeted. Ollie is out. Will is so so deeply closeted the actual thought of anyone knowing he and Ollie "had a thing" terrifies him. I thought Will was so well done, particularly when he was being an asshole...like I got it. I got why he hurt Ollie, and I got why Ollie got angry. And the book really really delved into this discussion of: you don't owe anyone to come out of the closet, you need to do things in your time, when you are safe. But you can hurt people. And that's still on you. There was so much aching and longing and fear here. And it felt real, and well handled, and I will just...I will just cry on you. I connected to so many of the topics here. The nuance was just -- yeah still crying brb.

Honestly, this one has characters who will fill your whole heart, addictive writing, and themes that resonate so deeply. It's SUCH a good book omg what can I say but throw a lot of exclamation points at you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only Mostly Devastated.

March 1, 2018 – Shelved
March 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
December 31, 2019 – Started Reading
December 31, 2019 –
55.0% "this is the best and Ollie has just just a winning voice. you just want to keep reading his awkward, funny, honest self ahh 😍"
January 2, 2020 – Shelved as: 5-star