Jess Houser (JJ Burry)'s Reviews > Cliftopolis: Time Past

Cliftopolis by Grant P. Ferguson

bookshelves: books-by-people-i-know

*Note: I recently bought this novel after meeting Grant Ferguson in our local writer's group.

If monsters terrorizing an entire town sounds frightening to you, then you need to meet the kids of Cliftopolis: Time Past, book one. This is the first book in a middle grade action-adventure series (with a side of science fiction) by Grant Ferguson.

On a "normal" Saturday morning, Preston Gustoffagus, "an 11-year-old certified genius" who goes by G, simply wants to fix his robot, but it explodes in his lab! His friends come over to find him covered in goo and searching for missing robot pieces, which leads them on a hunt in the sewer drains below.

They're surprised to find a tunnel system under the town. They're even more surprised that by opening an old squeaky door, they've unleashed on their town a monster that resembles a cross between trolls and zombies!

On top of all that, G also has to decide whether or not to team up with his own personal monster, the notorious school bully, in order to defeat the beast.

From the moment I started reading, I was enraptured by the story and the accidental adventure of the characters. G's determination to make things right follows him throughout the novel. He is forced into situations that would make adults panic, yet he finds a way to stand stoic when everyone's around.

Ferguson's pulls you into G's world of science, friends, and bullies with his descriptive words and with his illustrations, which appear at the beginning of each chapter.

I recommend Cliftopolis: Time Past, book one to readers who love adventure, who enjoy exploring science, who are curious what lurks beneath their city, and especially to readers who are facing their own monsters while they face the monsters of the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cliftopolis.

March 1, 2018 – Shelved