D.M.'s Reviews > Hiding Lies

Hiding Lies by Julie Cross

Refreshing and vibrant. 5*

I'm totally in love with Julie Cross's books. This is my fourth and I just can't wait for more! If she's writing I'm reading! Her stories are always colourful and her characters are complex.

Hiding lies is the follow-up book to Chasing Truth. It can be read as a standalone (It has all the catch up you need) but I would recommend reading book one first.

Eleanor Ames has been compared to Veronica Mars and in many ways, she's the closest famous character to relate to her, but Ellie is so much more. Who is Eleanor Ames? Well, that's just it. Not even Ellie knows who she really is. Her mother is in jail and her father is a notorious con man. She now lives with her sister and they have a fake name but Ellie doesn't know her real name anyway. Ellie feels bad about how things turned out for her mother. She feels her dad should be the one doing the time.

Ellie is now settled into a normal high school teen life. She studies and is actually considering college. Two things Ellie never thought she could have. Her boyfriend Miles aka secret agent in training is visiting her for Christmas before he vacations in Turkey. His parents have accepted her and he is keeping her self-defence skills in top form.

Ellie's family are all con artists. Her cousins are probably not related to her and all family members have special talents. Her father is the mastermind behind the cons and her mother was the conscience that kept them safe. Now she's gone her father has taken his tricks to a whole new level. Ellie's cousin, Oscar has managed to hunt her down and wants her help. The family are in trouble and Oscar thinks Ellie is the only one who can turn it around.

Dominic was close to Simon and Miles. Now he will become Ellie's new best friend. We get to see a whole new side to Dominic and I'm loving his character. He's smart and brilliant when he puts his mind to it.

Miles and Ellie's relationship is taken to the next level. I love these two and their relationship is just so complex. The criminal and the federal agent. It works so well. They both have a trick or two up their sleeves. Their relationship is intense and passionate.

The great thing about this book is that we get to see all the characters again and the story follows perfectly. We get to know more about Ellie's past. There is no black and white everything is grey.

We are going on a schools trip with Holden Prep to New York City. The trip will be educational in more ways than one. There will be an opportunity to meet with college representatives, write a school report and enjoy the delights the city has to offer. The problem is Ellie is taking more than her school friends. She has to juggle school work, meet with her father and did I mention the FBI? They have decided to join the party too! Ellie has a new mission. She's hoping to help her mum get out of jail but this ride is going to be bumpy.

I absolutely love this story. It's exciting and full of twists. The characters are dynamic and interesting.

I really like Julie Cross's writing style and she keeps me hooked on every word. There is so much more I could tell you about this book but I don't want to spoil anything. In my opinion, this is a must-read. Highly recommended. It has romance, dangerous missions and loveable characters.

5 stars out of 5. I enjoyed this one even more than the first. *I received ARC in exchange for a review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hiding Lies.

March 1, 2018 – Shelved
March 1, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 18, 2018 – Started Reading
April 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Exhilarating review, Danielle! ;)

D.M. Thanks