C.G. Drews's Reviews > Piecing Me Together

Piecing Me Together by Renée Watson

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2018, young-adult, ya-without-romance

This was a really LIFEY type of book. And you can argue that "lifey" isn't a word all you want but I'm just going to keep using it because I'm as eloquent as a refried bean. (How do I even REVIEW. It's a mystery to us all.)

Anyway! I did think this was a rather slow book and it didn't have so much a plot as it was a just the tale of a black teen girl named Jade who's also an artist and also just tryign to find her place in the world and be proud of who she is. It's about her LIFE. Everything from micro-racism to outright to feelings about opportunities and what that even means. To art! And experiences! And being forgotten! And being talked-over by people! And being a teen which is awkward and messy and sticky especially if you spill ice cream on yourself...which Jade didn't do, but I do, so just putting it out there that that is 800% of the reason teenagerdom is sticky.

THINGS TO LOVE
• epic mother-daughter relationship that's really helpful but also complex and frustrating at times
• also super girl-to-girl relationships?!
• like I am not kidding: this book is 100% about women relationships
• I loved Jade's character development and how she learned to speak up for herself
• the fear that Jade went through basically every day (about being ignored or police brutality or being singled out unfairly because she's black) was really palpable
• It was really hopeful! I can imagine how good this would be for so many black teens to read, #ownvoices + let's build people up
• Jade was also fat and #yay for rep there!
• and the artist thread was really amazing and I love that she collaged!

So it's a quiet book, but I think very needed. I personally need more plots in books so it didn't really rock my world, but that's nothing against the book, just my horrid attention span. Also Jade is really relatable and I love her line at the end when her uncle asks who she's all dressed up for and she's like: for me. GO JADE!!

I don't know what's worse. Being mistreated because of the colour of your skin, your size, or having to prove that it really happened.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Piecing Me Together.

February 28, 2018 – Started Reading
February 28, 2018 – Shelved
March 2, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
March 2, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
March 2, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 2, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-without-romance
March 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by A. (new) - added it

A. Winston just saying, two women can have a romantic relationship

message 2: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @A: Oh I did word that wrong...that wasn't what I meant. I meant "yay no romance for once because this focuses on friendships" because I feel romance is overly done in books and it's nice to remember that platonic relationships are just as strong and important. But I did misword, so I'll go correct that.