Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Alias Dragonfly

Nov 04, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: civil-war, historical-fiction, ya, 2011-release, kindle, netgalley
Read from November 27 to 29, 2011

Female Spy, Civil War.. and for once, on the Union side... I saw this and declared I must read it.

The synopsis: Maddie is fifteen, her mother is dead, her father is off to fight in the Civil War, and she's been dumped at her Confederate loving aunt's boarding house. She finds herself in the middle of intrigue and ends up recruited by Pinkerton agents as a spy. Turns out Maddie has a really good eye..

I should've loved it, but I didn't. Nothing wrong with the writing style, let's get that out there. What did work for me is:

1. She doesn't become a spy until halfway through. The going is slow till then. The seventy percent point, she's still practicing maneuvers.

For full review, please follow the link:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alias Dragonfly.

11/27/2011 page 100
62.11% "Twenty percent into this, actually. Not bad so far. Curious about this chick and what she ends up doing. There's something a bit dark about it all..."
11/29/2011 page 200
100% "I'm getting disappointed. I'm 65 percent through and she didn't become a spy till 50 percent.. and even now.. It's not very exciting. I mean, the first things she does as a spy (second thing, excuse me) is get herself abducted. Like, duh."