MeinLesezeichenBlog's Reviews > The Broken Teaglass

The Broken Teaglass by Emily Arsenault

I was delighted the moment I discovered this novel. Who would have ever thought that combining lexicography and crime could result in such an intriguing story? At first glance, the two seem to not have very much in common, but at a second glance, you get another impression. It is incredible that I spend my free time reading a lexicographically themed novel. Seems like I cannot get enough of lexicography.

A crime has to be meticulously planned just as the lexicographical process. Moreover, uncovering the meaning of words can be just as complicated and frustrating as trying to solve a murder (or so I think).

Already the first chapter got me completely hooked up. It was so hilarious and ironic, and very relatable (if you study lexicography). I got you, Billy, I got you. I am in the 3rd semester and still not knowing what I am doing.

I am very enthusiastic about the plot: someone is messing with the citation slips. In lexicography, we consider this a major crime. With every messed up citation, the story gets more and more messed up. Questions keep popping up and nothing is how it seems. I liked how the main plot accommodated several subplots and how they were linked with each other. Even the characters get more and more mysterious and secretive as the plot moves on.

It seemed to me that this story was all about finding meaning, not only of words, but mainly of life itself. Language functioned mostly as a metaphor. The imagery used by the author is mostly to do with language and life. I was so intrigued by how the story and the characters unraveled and revealed themselves, sometimes unintentionally. Everything comes to pieces and at the same time, everything comes together. Just like a puzzle, you first have to lay out every single piece before being able to put it all together. Moreover, the denouement was absolutely not what I had expected it to be.

Overall, I flew through the pages. The story was engrossing. I also liked the language use of the author. He introduced me to a couple of new words, enriching my vocabulary. This side effect is really fitting for a lexicography novel. The author employs a very elaborated language, which is pleasant in reading.

"The broken teaglass” is a gripping lexicographical mystery thriller, which resulted in a very original and fruitful combination. I totally recommend this book to everyone interested in language, words and crime. Honestly, the portrayal of the lexicographer and his job was mesmerizing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Teaglass.

Finished Reading