Sally Linford's Reviews > A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future

A Whole New Mind by Daniel H. Pink

May 28, 2008

Read in June, 2008

Although it goes against my principles to give 5 stars to a self-help book, I make an exception for this gem. It's fascinating and revealing, and full of hope for the future (there's a rare commodity). My book club really loved it--all of us.

Pink (yes, that's his name) outlines his vision for the next generation of world business trends in our "flat" world where automation, asia, and abundance have created new requirements for success--requirements that for the most part come out of the right brain.

The writing is very good, fun, pleasant reading. Lots of metaphors--very atypical business book. He includes delightful exercises for working your right-brain at the end of each section of his right-brain portfolio (Design, Story, Symphony, Empathy, Play, Meaning).

The book is full of fascinating research tidbits like:
* The most effective corp leaders make their subordinates laugh 3 times more often than their managerial counterparts.

* Self-made millionaires are 4 times more likely to have dyslexia than the general population.

I esp. loved this quote from Sidney Harman, eighysomething multimillionaire CEO fo a stereo components company who claims, "Instead of hiring MBAs, get me some poets as managers. Poets are our original systems thinkers. . . those unheralded systems thinkers, are our true digital thinkers. It is from their midst that I believe we will draw tomorrow's new business leaders."
________________
This is the "Responsible Women" book choice for the month. Technically, I suppose it would be categorized as a business book, but it's very right-brained (of course), with a respectful nod to the left-brain also. So far I love it. I'll rate it when I'm finished. (still have another week).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Whole New Mind.