Bernie's Reviews > The Other Side of Silence

The Other Side of Silence by Philip Kerr

Read 2 times. Last read February 26, 2018.

The Other side of Silence is the 11th Bernie Gunther novel by Philip Kerr. I have read all in order and I must say that all have been enjoyable. I admire the way Kerr keeps the narrative rolling forward. Bernie Gunther’s past keeps catching up with him in different ways. There is always a nod to his Kripo past and his wartime service. Those who have been along for the journey will know that the latter always causes him grief.
We find our hero Bernie Gunther working in a hotel on the French Rivera in 1956. It is all spies and blackmail in this instalment. A cleverly crafted tale involving W Somerset Maugham, MI6 and the STASI. However, Bernie’s past with the NAZI’s casts a shadow over his current position a discreet hotel concierge.
There is intrigue a plenty up and down the Riviera and Bernie finds himself falling for a woman. Bernie usually falls in the arms of a woman or is fondly remembering a liaison with another.

I am an unabashed fan of this series and can only wait to read the next instalment Prussian Blue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side of Silence.

Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
Started Reading
February 26, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 28, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
February 28, 2018 – Shelved as: ww2-crime-fiction (Hardcover Edition)
February 28, 2018 – Shelved