Leila Anani's Reviews > Torchwood: Hidden

Torchwood by Steven Savile

F 50x66
** spoiler alert ** 3/4 of this are really gripping but unfortunately the payoff is so lame and rushed that I can only give this one two stars.

Torchwood explore a series of apparently random deaths beginning with a helicopter crash, that are of course not really random at all and lead the team to a centuries old alchemist and a weird immortality cult. The story and the way it unravels are really exciting and I was pretty much on the edge of my seat with the mysterious car chasing Ianto over a cliff -OMG!!! talk about cliff-hanger for end of disc 1. I also like the plot with the ideas of mysterious cults, alchemists, cloning which I must say makes a refreshing change from aliens coming through the rift.

Naoko Mori (Tosh) makes a good job of narration too and fully held my attention. The main problem I have with this is the fizzle of an ending - seriously it's like... Is that it??? After I've been through all this and then... yeah. It feels like a huge chunk of explanation is missing but this is an original audio and not an abridged book so there can't be. But there are gaping holes - I mean we're shown how the centuries old alchemist and the money man and his son are identical but it doesn't clearly enough explain the connections - I get the son was a clone but if he's been cloning himself since way back when how was that even possible? Normally I hate techno-babble, but seriously some more explanation is needed.

The other thing with this one is that because it's so story focused that there's not much character development, relationship exploration. There's no Ianto/Jack and there's a lack of just general bickering and personality that makes the show so addictive.

The lack of character exploration I can put up with for the sake of a great story and for the most part this is... really interesting and then it just ends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torchwood.

February 25, 2018 – Started Reading