Gmr's Reviews > The Midnights

The Midnights by Sarah Nicole Smetana

bookshelves: hurr-michael-read-owned

This is a story about midnights...that mysterious time between morning and night that often gets wiled away as we slumber between the sheets. That's the norm for most, but what if it wasn't? What if during that magical in-between, where you have one foot in nighttime and one foot in morning, you were spending time with those you love, making memories to cherish, and impressions you'll need to hold on to all too soon? What if you were not only able to reach out to someone who is more desperately lost than they realize, but also continue the journey of finding your self? THAT'S what this book is about.

Susannah had a tumultuous relationship with her parents, I mean what teen doesn't to some degree, but hers wasn't so much about HER but about HIM...her dad. Once upon a time, he was a great rocker, but the free spirit and drive to the top also came with some pretty bad habits. One ultimatum later and all that talent ended up on the sidelines, but so did most the dangers clinging to his back...until they weren't, leaving him for days in its manic grip and his loved ones on the outside looking in. It wasn't always that way, and he did love his family, he just couldn't seem to balance the two all the time, and when tragedy struck, it threw things off kilter even more. The spillover tapped into Susannah's spirit, leading her on a search for answers that just might never come, but it also brought her and her mother closer, removed the shroud over long kept secrets, and ultimately allowed her to spread her own wings and fly.

***copy received for review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnights.

February 27, 2018 – Started Reading
February 27, 2018 – Shelved
March 1, 2018 –
page 416
100.0% "First read of the month, done! An interesting YA story about finding ourselves, giving ourselves room for error, and realizing that those bumps along the way go into making us who we are. No one is perfect, but it's what we do after the southward turn that shows our true character."
March 1, 2018 – Finished Reading