Michelle's Reviews > The Masterpiece

The Masterpiece by Francine Rivers

bookshelves: christianfiction, forpleasure, forreview

I enjoyed this book, though I suspected that I would given the author is one of my favorites. I haven't read a novel by Francine Rivers in the past four years, though, so it's been awhile. This story was engaging and well-written. Then again, all of her novels are easy to digest and enjoy. This story was set during the present day and in California. One of the main characters went from rags to riches and discovered both poverty and wealth bred discontent. The other main character lived under a cloud of shame for past mistakes as many women do. Of course, her choices came from a life of insecurity that started when she was a young child. She had lost her parents and was resented by the person tasked to take care of her. The characters had intense backgrounds and shared a trauma bond of sorts, though they didn't even realize that was one of the things that attracted them to each other in the first place.

I tend to enjoy historical novels the most, but I did enjoy this story for the redemption theme and example of how waiting on God's timing is always best. Jumping ahead will only get us hurt. Often our impulsive behavior interferes with God's greater plan. The message was clear. God can save anyone, but we have to trust Him and not try to change the person ourselves. We know this is true (those of us that believe) but this story shows how that process could ideally happen. Good story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Masterpiece.

February 27, 2018 – Started Reading
February 27, 2018 – Shelved
February 27, 2018 – Shelved as: forpleasure
February 27, 2018 – Shelved as: christianfiction
February 27, 2018 – Shelved as: forreview
page 25
4.88% "So far its interesting."
March 3, 2018 –