Carla Johnson-Hicks's Reviews > Wedding Cake Crumble

Wedding Cake Crumble by Jenn McKinlay

bookshelves: cozy-mystery, first-to-read

This is the tenth book in the Cupcake Bakery Mystery, but the first one I read. I still really enjoyed the book and hope to read the previous books in the series in the future. I did not have a problem following the story, I just missed some of the background that does not affect the enjoyment of the story. This was a wonderful cozy mystery with a charming cast of characters and a mystery that kept me engaged.

For Melanie Cooper and the employees of Fairy Tale Cupcakes, co-owner Angie DeLaura's wedding is the single most important event they have coming up. A week before the wedding, as Angie heads off to pay and finalize the people she has hired for the wedding, several turn up dead, actually murdered. When Angie and Mel take on a last minute catering job for an author event, they meet Elise, an author that has penned a hair-raising tell-all about her former husband, new wife and the neighborhood where she used to live. Shortly after the event, the author ends up dead and Mel's friend, Carrie, is arrested for the murder. Mel realizes that all the murders are connected and that Carrie would not have killed anyone, so she tries to get the police, especially her Uncle Stan, to listen to her theories and let Carrie go.

Mel is the character at the front and center of everything that goes on in the story. Mel is someone who is willing to go to great lengths to help her friends. I admired how much she cared about those close to her and I liked her need to find the truth about what is going on. There is also romance with Angie's and Tate's wedding as well as Mel's and Joe's relationship. There is a side story with some of the other Bakery workers involving romance, money, and greedy family members that is also entertaining. The animals in the story, Captain Jack the cat and Peanut the dog, did not play a huge part, but it was a nice, fun interlude to solving the mystery. The mystery of the deaths and how they're all connected was an interesting one. I didm't guess who the culprit was until just before the reveal and that always makes for a good mystery in my books. The reveal was well done and the motive made sense. The writing was smooth and flowed very well. I have read other books by this author and enjoyed them very much. If you are a cozy mystery lover, especially where food and recipes are included, you will love this book. I received a copy of this book from the First to Read program. The opinions in this review are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wedding Cake Crumble.

February 27, 2018 – Shelved