jessica's Reviews > The Call of the Wild

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

liked it

my goodness, this is a tough one for me to review. the abundance of violence and animal cruelty made this such an emotional read for me. i can understand why this is a classic and so well loved - there are many great themes in this book and the resolution is quite satisfying, but i struggled with most of the content. this was not a bad book, it just wasnt as enjoyable for me personally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Call of the Wild.

February 27, 2018 – Shelved
February 27, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
May 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Guy (new)

Guy Portman Fair enough Jessica.

jessica thank you!!

message 3: by Dash fan (new)

Dash fan Ouch this sounds like a very raw & upsetting read. Definitely not one I could read. As soon as I see animal cruelty it's a no no.
Wonderfully honest review Jessica 💕

jessica thank you! i think from a historical standpoint, it was very interesting. but i struggled with the content more than i thought i would, which a shame.

message 5: by Dash fan (new)

Dash fan I can understand that. Sometimes things that are really difficult to read can also be interesting. X

Allison I 100% understand the struggle with the abhorrent cruelty in the book and why that would be a factor of aversion.

It's just such an amazing tale of triumph over oppression by finding love, protecting it, and embracing the natural YOU. Plus the writing is amazing (his language is just...so good)

But yes... Some of the imagrey is graphic. Reminds me a lot of Black Beauty in that aspect.