Will's Reviews > Enjoy Every Sandwich: Living Each Day as If It Were Your Last

Enjoy Every Sandwich by Lee Lipsenthal

Nov 04, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads, relationships
Read from December 03 to 07, 2011

Unless you just happen to have this book fall into your lap I don't think there should be a spoiler alert on this one... you pretty much know early on how this book is going to end. I also want to thank Random House and goodreads for giving me the chance to read this book through it's first reads offer.

It is an amazing self-help book on a subject few of us want to talk about, but all of us have to deal with at some point.

The author, a relatively young doctor in his 50's learns one day out of the blue from just a small medical issue that he is dealing with a very very serious cancer. This is not your "bucket list" type book, instead it is a look at the process of dealing with death. If some day we are faced with such a diagnosis,it's a chance especially for those that are very clinical or have a personality that deals with things in complex and compartmental ways to see how one might react in a very positive way.

This is not a book about someone who is eager to die so they can get to that better place on the other side... instead it is a look at how this life changing event made the author see what he was so grateful to have in his life... a gratitude he hopes more people see in their own lives well before they look death in the eye... and he admits it's a gratitude that can at times be tough to find.

There are a few "tools" for lack of a better word that I will take from this book and try to apply to my own life. This will also be a book that I will keep close by for a long time to come and have a favorite page from it that I will likely return to from time to time.

It says:

When you are inside a box of pain, scratch away at the walls. When you are inside a box of depression, scratch away. A box of perfectionism, scratch away. A box of self-pity, scratch away at those walls as if your life depended on it. Because it does. You won't know where you are going, or how to get there, or what it will look like on the other side. But if there is pain or worry or unhappiness, scratch away at the walls that imprison you -- scratch away with prayer, meditation, yoga, exercise, laughter, art, movement, gratitude, acceptance, and love. Scratch away with the knowledge that there is so much more to life than what we imagine it to be.

Truer words were never written... R.I.P. Dr. Lee Lipsenthal

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enjoy Every Sandwich.

12/05/2011 page 104