Jaclyn (sixminutesforme)'s Reviews > Educated

Educated by Tara Westover

I honestly did not know what to expect when I started this one - I kept hearing buzz about it and decided to join in on a buddy read (my first!) kindly organised by @readingbringsjoy. To say I was blown away by this does not come close to describing what a roller coaster this was!

The author was born and raised on a mountainside in Idaho by Mormon parents, which in itself would have been a fascinating upbringing. Add into the mix a family plagued by violence, mental illness and a belief in the end-of-days and what develops in Tara’s memoir seems inconceivable. She never attended formal schooling, but has since gone on to graduate from Harvard and Cambridge. It is just incredible! I think the scenes that have stuck with me most (among many!) are her first days of college where she learns of the Holocaust, of slavery and civil rights and more for the first time. The adversities she faced and the successes she has achieved in her short life so far are a testament to what a strong woman Tara is.

I’ve been recommending this book to friends who enjoyed Hillbilly Elegy and The Great Alone - but really, I think everyone should pick it up! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟Thank you to @netgalley and @randomhouse for my ARC copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Educated.

February 26, 2018 – Shelved