C.R. Elliott's Reviews > Murder and Mendelssohn

Murder and Mendelssohn by Kerry Greenwood

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery

I have enjoyed the Phryne Fisher books but by Murder and Mendelssohn I found myself falling out of love with Phryne. As she "collects" children, pets and men some of her charm feels hollowed out particularly when I realized that the timeline for the 20 books is condensed to...I think it was six months. I also wasn't fond of the writing of a gay character who made an exception for Phryne--not so much the principle of it, truth is always stranger than fiction and in life people are more complicated than labels but I found myself worn out by Phryne's marvelousness.

Complaints aside, the series itself has charm particularly in the little details and characters periphery to Phryne. These are the reason I can genuinely say that I liked it. The resolution of the story was a bit obvious and I am unsure if this was intentional or if Greenwood is just exhausted by Phryne's marvelousness too. I really want to continue loving the series but I admit a certain disappointment with Murder and Mendelssohn that I just can't shake.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder and Mendelssohn.

February 26, 2018 – Started Reading