Gabby's Reviews > Hex Hall

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Nov 04, 2011

bookshelves: action-adventure, chick-lit, e-books, paranormal-romance, young-adult, vampires, fantasy, favorites, series
Read from November 05 to 06, 2011

Originally posted @ The YA Bookworm

Rating 4.5 stars

I was actually a bit skeptical of reading this book, cause first of all i have read two books with the same concept (Paranormalcy and The Darkest Powers) and I am not a huge fan of the both series, cause everything about those two books are very cheezy and ver chick lit-ish just thinking of Evie makes my eyes roll (haha!)i was actually expecting the same from this book, some maybe majority or maybe all of my friends on Goodreads have read this book and they seem to like it so much, i decided to give this one a try.

first off... the prologue is a "love spell" gone wrong. Even though this is a chic-lit book that first part of the book is kinda creepy it again reminds me of the movie Carrie . It's creepy and funny at the same time. and that prologue is entirely enough for me to get hooked reading this book.

While I am reading this book i have a few grins here and there, i really can't help it! Sophie is just one lovable character! she gives like a lot of snarky and sarcastic comments all the time, and she is the main reason that this whole book is enjoyable. I admire her personality cause she's really honest like how she admittedly confess that she has a crush on the hottest boy in the school, and how she just admitted that she is actually attracted to him cause maybe of his physical looks and his personality. See that? It is great if the main character in the book just admits that the he/she is attracted to someone directly, rather than fancy them and have delusional day dreams about them. LOL.

since i am laughing and grinning at this book, i was thinking that maybe this book will just give me laughs but not actually give me a whole main concrete plot, well it turns out it has a concrete plot. It has never crossed in my mind that this book will contain such a shocker, (oohhh i really wanna spill some details but it will just spoil your reading *zips mouth*) the concept of the book is original, kinda reminds me of Harry Potter but this one is quite different cause well Hecate Academy doesn't just cater witches and warlock but also other creatures as well. so there is actually a variety of powers and a bunch of different personality that you will encounter while reading this one, the whole book is written in a light manner that you will get this refreshing giddy feeling while reading it. I give credit also for having a Gay character in the book.

Overall: a really enjoyable read, every aspect in the book is in balance there is a little bit of this and that.
some of the YA novels that I've read, i actually make the romance aspect of the book the redeeming factor, but in this book it is actually would be fine if there is no romance present, although i really like Sophie and Archer together. The romance is just an accessory in the book that made it even more awesome.

I don't know if I'll read Demonglass soon. they keep on saying that it contains a cliff hanger ending, and the 3rd book won't be out any soon. *sighs*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex Hall.

11/06/2011
20.0% ":)"
11/06/2011
66.0% "kinda too early to judge but I am thinking o giving the book 5 stars :D" 2 comments