Cecilia Marie's Reviews > Inkheart

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Nov 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, read-2012, low-fantasy, princess-booklist, so-many-ratings
Recommended to Cecilia Marie by: Lee Wong and Skye Walker

I struggled a great deal to finish this book, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm not used to reading much anymore or because the plot didn't move quickly enough. I found myself skimming through long-winded descriptions to get to actual plot-progression, for I really could not care less about how much Meggie loves books or the intricate details of reclothing a book by the second half of the novel. As a lot of other reviews mentioned, I don't care much for book reverence. Elinor was simply over the top obsessed with her books - which she did not touch. I pictured Mo as a very old soul too, I wonder how he's portrayed in the movie? I'll be watching it shortly.

The pace picked up for me at the end, but it was still a struggle.. and I don't see myself re-reading. Still, it wasn't a bad read. I'm a bit sad I didn't engage more with the characters, but I think if I were a bookworm I might have a little more. I did love the nature of the ending. Without spoiling too much (just a little), I would love to live in such a fairytale estate! It's no wonder Meggie and Mo stayed with Elinor rather than returning to their house. I wonder if they picked up all of their books though, or if they just replaced them all. They did have a lot of books. I thought the power Capricorn had throughout the story ridiculous, especially where the police were involved. Every character was much too invested in family, something else I couldn't relate to very well (though I do relate to love, so I got through it).

I'm curious about the nature of the translation and how it changed the book! But I'm not about to pick up German just yet if at all, so I may never know…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkheart.

November 3, 2011 – Shelved
November 6, 2011 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 11, 2011 – Started Reading
May 29, 2012 –
page 357
65.63% "I really want to finish this book but I don't like to read without my contacts, and I've been so lazy using those, ha ha. I'm not too engrossed in the story. I hope the movie is better."
June 9, 2012 –
page 420
77.21% "Continuing from here today"
June 11, 2012 –