Jessica Scott's Reviews > The Swiss Family Robinson

The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss

Nov 03, 2011

I had heard so much from friends and family about this book: "It's so good" and "You have to read it". I finally read it, and just let me say that I am glad I did!

This book pulled me in, and even though this particular version of the intriguing classic is for younger people, I still found myself feeling as though I was on the island, too. The conflict of the story is obvious: a shipwrecked family works together to pull together a temporary home on a stranded, wild animal-infested, absolutely huge island. The climax is a different story, however: the most exciting part to me was throughout the whole book. All of the members of the family were constantly spotting different animals, such as green parrots and onagras, while also battling dangerous ones, such as porcupines and boa constrictors.

Though a tiny bit slow at the start, it sped up quickly as I progressed through the book. Chapter after chapter, I was turning pages to see what would happen to the family next. Winters brought heavy rainfall and dreadful tempests, while summer brought warm sunshine and cheerful skies. I just don't exactly want to live there...but I'm glad they loved it enough to stay forever! Well, almost all of them...

I loved The Swiss Family Robinson so much and would highly recommend it to others!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Swiss Family Robinson.