Annie's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

May 27, 2008

Read in August, 2009

Sense and Sensibility was a bit more of a tough read for me for the first half of the book. Austen continually described conversations in rose, rather than playing them out in the scene. IE: "Mr. Ferrars said that he could go to town in a few days and pick up the new chaise, but Lucy assured him that Mr. Gregory would be in town tomorrow and could just as easily bring it back for them. Ann was slurping up her soup meanwhile, and rejoined that Mr. Gregory probably would rather pick it up as not, being that he had always had an eye for Miss Lucy." versus an actual conversation. This style of writing made it much more difficult for me to really get into. In the second half, the plot picks up, the intrigue and character interaction increases, and it was much easier to maintain focus. The storyline itself is very good. The characters are fantastic, and it is easy to see why so many have loved this story. I would recommend it to anyone who loves classic writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.