Jen Ryland's Reviews > As She Fades

As She Fades by Abbi Glines

Story about a girl who's been in a car accident, her boyfriend lying in the hospital in a coma, and her growing attraction to the hot fraternity brother of one of her siblings.

I've read Abbi Glines books before and they are a particular thing - very romance-y in an old-school romance novel way. And I can absolutely, definitely be up for some romantic melodrama, which is what the blurb made this book sound like. And as I read, I wished for melodrama, because the book was pretty blah most of the way through. Despite the dramatic-sounding premise, the writing was flat and the characters were just sort of there. However, I could see it as a guilty pleasure for some YA readers - it's a quick (and undemanding) read for sure.

The plot does take an unexpected turn toward the middle, and I wasn't sure how I felt about that. If the characters and their relationships had felt better developed I think the plot shift could have been much more interesting. My blogger friend Lauren makes a great point in her review, which I hadn't thought of as I think I zoned into boredom while reading, but (BIG SPOILER under protection- beware) (view spoiler)

This didn't feel triangle-y (if that's an issue for you).

Abbi Glines books are not for everyone but she has definitely written better books. If you haven't read anything of hers, this might not be the best book to start with.

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram! Or check out my Jen In Ten reviews on Youtube - get the lowdown on current books in 10-30 seconds!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As She Fades.

February 25, 2018 – Started Reading
February 25, 2018 – Shelved
February 25, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Caitlin Audet Just posted my own review I got lucky and won an arc.

message 2: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland Caitlin wrote: "Just posted my own review I got lucky and won an arc."

That's great - going to check it out!!

message 3: by Brianna (new)

Brianna I finally read this book after keeping it on my shelf for so long. I can honestly say I am disappointed. She writes so much better than this i'm just confused. It seem rushed and the plot different fit with the description. There was so much that could have been done with this story so much left on said.

message 4: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland Yeah, I think that so much was put into the twist that the rest of the book suffered :(