Ebookwormy1's Reviews > Culture and Imperialism

Culture and Imperialism by Edward W. Said

May 27, 2008

liked it

This is a great book for people who are well read in English, American and French literature. Basically, Said's idea is that culture, imperialism and literature are each creating and reinforcing each other. He analysizes works from each of the Imperial powers to demonstrate what it is that they say about about the reader's concept of themselves as English, American or French people, their country and their world (including other countries).

I found this book fascinating, particularly when Said addressed works with which i was highly familiar. Perspectives that I had considered to be "side plots" or merely settings of a story, came alive when illuminated by this perspective of imperialism and culture. This analysis also caused me to examine my own thinking and how I was shaped by these perspectives. I had to do some repenting in that regard.

Unfortunately, wanting to absorb/ ruminate on the topic, I was taking too long to read and had to return the book to the library before i could finish it. This is a thick, deep, detailed, thinking book, but is worth the time!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Culture and Imperialism.