"that Guy"'s Reviews > La casa en Mango Street

La casa en Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

U 50x66

did not like it
Recommended to "that by: My spanish teacher
Recommended for: people who enjoy really wierd book

This was without a doubt one of the worst books I have EVER read. Now, before I go any further, I would like to say that when I read this book, I read it in Spanish. Because Spanish is not my first language, this created some difficulties understanding the material.

With that said, it was still a bad book. There was no actual plot, because this story was a biography of the author. In other words, if you swap out a few key names, it will be the story of the writer's life. In other words, the writer is using this writing to vent her frustrations with her younger days, which is totally ok with me, so long as I am not required to read it.

The thing I liked the most/least about the book is, in a word, the vignettes. I find them difficult to understand, and heartily dislike the lack of a plot. However, I DO appreciate the originality of the work Cisneros did in creating these. It is (maybe 'was' is a better term now) almost totally original, and that is what makes the book somewhat bearable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La casa en Mango Street.

Started Reading
April 20, 2008 – Finished Reading
May 27, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Amelia L Personally, I think you should re-read it in english.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked it.
No one in my class liked it but I did.

Brianna Brosnan Super terrible. I had to read it in English. BAD MOUTH ALL THE BOOKS!!!!

message 4: by Marissa (new)

Marissa U totally agree you with you, the book sucked and it was the worst book I have ever read (and I've read over a thousand) There wasn't a plot and there were no ""s so it was very confusing to read. I have to read it for a school, but I would've dropped it after the first chapter if I wasn't forced to read it

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

If you had difficulties understanding the material, then how do you know whether the book had a plot or whether the book was good?

message 6: by Amore (new)

Amore Blue im reading it now and it's very confusing.