Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside)'s Reviews > Maia

Maia by Richard Adams

Nov 03, 2011

bookshelves: general-fiction, historical-fiction, fantasy, read-this-right-now

Boy...I am surprised at how many people here gave this book a low rating and claimed it was "social commentary on women" or that the author obviously has a low opinion of women or portrays women negatively. Really? Did we read the same book? This book is full of strong and admirable female characters...and even some not-so-admirable female characters who still cannot be said to be dumb, small-brained, only interested in sex, or any other misrepresentation slung about here in these reviews.

Maia is a fantasy novel by virtue of the fact that it's set in an imaginary place, but that's where the fantasy elements end. Otherwise, it's more likely to appeal to fans of historical fiction, with its focus on political intrigue, plots within plots, and the fates of rulers -- and their concubines. (Maybe that's why I found it so palatable. Rather than seeing it as some kind of condescension toward women, it strikes me as fitting right in with the rest of the historical fiction I love to read.)

The book is long, and Adams occasionally becomes long-winded, going into meandering digressions about various characters' histories. But the characters are so interesting and Adams' writing is so typically picturesque that it never bothered me enough to remove this book from my shelf. (In fact, I had three hardcover copies of this out-of-print gem, and I treasured them, but neglected to rescue them from my ex-husband's house when I moved out. :( )

The big strength of this book is its various characters, all of whom are well-painted and memorable. Contrary to what other reviewers thought, I found Maia to be not dumb or simple but compelling in her innocence and sweetness. She is sometimes naive, but she is earnest and kind, and when faced with a terrible situation (such as, for example, being sold into sexual slavery) rather than withering up and dying she adapts to her new world with the most positive attitude she can muster. As the novel progresses she grows a little older and a little wiser, and finally comes into her own as a heroic, brave young woman, willing to put her life on the line to save innocent lives. She's a main character worth rooting for, even if she's not perfect.

Occula is another female character who exudes confidence and power from the first moment she appears on the page. She is intelligent, cunning, possessed of great inner strength and patience that would make a monk envious. Occula is one of the most memorable characters in all of fiction, in my opinion, and for reviewers to write her obvious importance out entirely by saying that this book portrays a poor view of women is just ridiculous. This book wouldn't be what it is without Occula. She is integral to the plot and to the development of so many other characters and their subplots. I have a hard time imagining a sexist author would write such a character into his book. Or at least, a sexist author would "punish" such a character in some way for the mere fact of her greatness -- but on the contrary, Occula arrives in Bekla under her own terms, serves where she means to serve, and, in the end, gets exactly what she wants in exactly the way she wants it, and ends up fabulously wealthy and happy as a clam. This doesn't seem like the creation of a sexist writer.

Maia is a long, sensory, in-depth journey through Adams' fictional world, and the reader is guided by a host of fascinating characters. Don't pass this one up, especially if you love Adams' other works or if you are a fan of character-dense historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maia.

03/15/2016 marked as: read

Rakisha Great review! I, too don't understand the perception that female characters are portrayed negatively or weak.

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) I think some people will find it objectionable when any female character is portrayed as both sexual and meek. Seems kind of silly to me. Frankly, I am tired of all the cookie-cutter kickass girl characters.

Debra I agree with you Lavender. I loved the strong women in this book! Loved how Maia just rose to the top with a smile and a well timed...ah, well, spoiler.

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) I am in the middle of reading Shardik right now, and I am not liking it terribly well. I can't help comparing it to Maia, which was such a fantastic book...and by comparison Shardik just doesn't feel as real.

message 5: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Thx for the detailed review, I'm adding this to the to read list now.

message 6: by Karla (last edited Jul 04, 2014 06:27PM) (new) - added it

Karla when faced with a terrible situation (such as, for example, being sold into sexual slavery) rather than withering up and dying she adapts to her new world with the most positive attitude she can muster.

Sounds a lot like the real bodice ripper heroines I love so much. They take a licking or twenty but don't let it get them down. :)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) You'll probably like this one! Though beware: it's a freaking doorstopper. And Richard Adams gets rambly, so there are entire chapters you can skip without missing any of the story. ;) It's one of the things hardcore fans love about Adams, and I am a hardcore enough fan that I have a tattoo inspired by one of his books, but yeah, BEWARE.

Lin #Historical lover...❤️ This book was recommended to me in response (I assume) to my request for passionate fantasy romance like mad bad duke by Jennifer Ashley.

After reading the book's write up I was going to ignore the recommendation...

After reading your review I want to read it.

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) Oh, good! It's so worth tracking down. Just beware of Richard Adams' long-windedness. It can tempt you to skip a few paragraphs sometimes, and you should feel free to do so. :)

I need to go find my one surviving copy... it's in storage somewhere. I've had such a craving to re-read this one lately, and it's not available on Kindle... boooooo! :'(

Debra I agree with you LM, gotta find my basting copy and retread it! :-)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) YOU GUYYYYSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAIA IS ON KINDLE NOW! *brain explodes* http://www.amazon.com/Maia-Richard-Ad...

Debra Awesome! Now I don't have to lug it around!!! Thanks LM!

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) Still telling "Santa" that I want that nice first/first hardback copy somebody has for sale on Amazon. :D

Debra Oh I saw that! My santa list contains "the Lost Queen of Egypt" so I don't want to muddy the waters. :-)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) Ooooh... that's a good one!

Melisa Nelson I first read this as a teenager 25 years ago and loved it. I just found a free copy and I'm so excited to be reading it again! Maia has stood out in my mind all of these years as one of my favorite female characters. I love Zimmer-Bradley and Gabaldon and I'm sure that love started with this book.

message 18: by Juli (new)

Juli I actually just really started reading again and this is the first book that I did after reading your review from another blog. Glad I did. It was an awesome book! I typically do not re-watch or re-read anything but definitely will be reading this again. Great review as well. You can write really well... I also do not understand why women are so quick to say that certain authors or film producers are sexist. And I know this may not be everyone's favorite to discuss but even Game of Thrones has been blown out of proportion in that context. I bring that up because I was just reading comments about it and didn't understand why and then get here for the review and see the same thing. Yes, the tv show could get graphic and there were a few women abused along the way but some of the strongest, smartest and most powerful women are portrayed and evolved through the whole series. If the book represented women as slaves or unequal in a modern timeframe as they do in historical novels then I may think they are sexist. And if they represented modern women and modern roles in a historical time novel it obviously wouldn't get a great audience. Times are different .