Kathleen's Reviews > The Dew Breaker

The Dew Breaker by Edwidge Danticat

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, read-in-2018, short-stories, historical-fiction

Winner of The Story Prize, Pen/Faulkner Award Finalist, a Washington Post Book World Notable Book, a San Francisco Chronicle, Chicago Tribune, and Detroit Free Press Best Book of the Year and National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction, THE DEW BREAKER by Edwidge Danticat has a beautiful cover.

"With characteristic lyricism and grace, Danticat proves the painful legacy of a time when sons turned against their fathers, children were orphaned, and communities were torn apart."-The Philadelphia Inquirer

"Ms. Danticat's most persuasive, organic performance yet...Each tale in THE DEW BREAKER could stand on its own as a beautifully made story, but they come together like jigsaw-puzzle pieces to create a picture of this man's terrible history and his and his victim's afterlife."-The New York Times

Because THE DEW BREAKER was BOTM for our book club I requested this book through interlibrary loans and immediately started reading it. The nine short stories are like windows giving me glimpses of life in Haiti during the 1960s and the Haitian communities and people in New York City in the early 2000s. It 'opened my eyes' to the unrest, uncertainties, horrors and tortures that took place in Haiti.

This quote from the back cover of the book sums it up for me, "Edwidge Danticat's brilliant exploration of the "dew breaker"-or torturer-is an unforgettable story of love, remorse, and hope; of personal and political rebellions; and of the compromises we make to move beyond the most intimate brushes with history."
3.5***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dew Breaker.

February 25, 2018 – Shelved
February 25, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
March 21, 2018 – Started Reading
March 21, 2018 –
page 68
27.87% "After finishing the first three short stories, I must confess that I am looking forward to reading more of this book. The writing is beautiful, and each time the author took me to an unforeseen and unexpected destination. Upon reflection sadness and loneliness seem to hover like a cloud or fog."
March 22, 2018 –
page 164
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: fiction
March 23, 2018 – Shelved as: short-stories
March 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen Very nice review, Kathleen!

Diane S ☔ Super review, Kathleen.

message 3: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Kathleen.

Kathleen Jen wrote: "Very nice review, Kathleen!"

Thank you, Jen.

Kathleen Diane S ☔ wrote: "Super review, Kathleen."

Thank you, Diane.

Kathleen Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Kathleen."

Angela, thank you for your kind words.

message 7: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review!!

Kathleen Thank you, Deanna.