Anne (The Reading Life)'s Reviews > The Final Six

The Final Six by Alexandra Monir

Read 2 times. Last read 2018.

The Final Six is another science fiction young adult book that shows us another devastating future possibility we are heading towards. In this book, due to human's abuse of Earth's environment, global warming finally reached a point of no return, with earth's habitat becoming a ticking time bomb. All resources are not used to other than finding a survival for the human race, which in this case is Europa, humanity's last hope.

Twenty-four teenagers chose from all over the world, the best of the best, would be the ultimate answer for the human race. Our story focus on our two dual protagonists: American science genius Naomi and Italian championship athlete swimmer Leo.

This book came into my life at the exact right time. As a reader, we all have times where we crave specific genres. When I came across the Final Six, I was craving science fiction and dystopia, because I missed the adrenaline feeling the genre gives in its heart-stopping scenes. I came into this book with a completely blank page. I remember when I saw this book on the blog tour sign up newsletter email, its synopsis undoubtedly stood out to me. However, I was hesitant to signing up because I didn't' want to have an overwhelming amount of ARCs. So I bookmarked it, and only signed up for it after several weeks.

Because I signed up so late, I wasn't expecting to get accepted to the blog tour because I requested to do a review, and reviews have very limited copies. Imagine my surprise when I got accepted.

I started to read, and immediately the story apprehended my attention. Harry Potter's publisher said it before, and I cannot help but agree: you know it's a good book just from the first few chapters.

If that book gives you that adrenaline feeling, that you want to read more, that's the sign it's a good book. It does not take a reviewer to admit that.

From its realistic character interactions and dialogues, captivating astronaut training scenes, and a mysterious yet still very clear and understandable story arc, this is the perfect book for readers who are currently craving science fiction and dystopian books like I was. The pace was perfect, even in its slower scenes, it does not feel out pace. What really made me so happy was how it did not disappoint even to the end of the book, especially how I just recently read a book that started off so well but ended up like a deflated balloon. On the other hand, The Final Six is a book that will give you the most satisfying adrenaline rush that finishes with a grand and kick-ass cliffhanger that makes you want more like it's a drug, and leave you to suffer the withdraw until the next book continues the story.

However, I can see how people *might* complain this as "slow-paced", "no character developments", etc. I can SEE it, actually. But through this I really do want to defend the book. People might think that this book is slow paced because it so revolved around the teenager's training for astronaut in so much detail. I love that. In fact, the astronaut training/science scenes are my favorite from the entire book. It's also because of those detailed and constant description for their journey that really laid our the steps of the unveiling mysteries timing so perfect and make such sense. Regarding the "lack of character development", who says that a good book must have ground-breaking character-change-personalty situation in order for it to be good? Sometimes, the story just doesn't require that, nor would the scenario make sense. The characters in this book changed accordingly. For example, how Naomi's perspective on what she wants changes (not going to elaborate due to spoilers). Not to add on how well-written the twists are. We don't get the ones we truly want (BACKETT), nor do we get what we completely want. It's this perfect balance that makes this a successful twist. It's not so perfect that it feels overwhelmingly cliche, but still enough to at least satisfy some of the reader's desires.

I also want to make the point of how the ending was written. I'm not going to spoil, but I really have to say that was a really clever way to have both our protagonists continue the story together, so I will definitely give props to that.

No one, no one right now can understand how happy I am that I signed up for this blog tour, and get an opportunity to read enjoy this book. It was an absolute thrill, and I cannot emphasize that more.

Thank you so much to anyone for making this book a possibility, and allowing me this amazing opportunity and luck to read this phenomenal book. I enjoyed it so much. Thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Six.

Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
Started Reading
2018 – Finished Reading
2018 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
February 25, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
February 25, 2018 – Shelved