Julie Christine's Reviews > Tin Man

Tin Man by Sarah Winman

bookshelves: best-of-2018, british-isles-theme-setting, contemporary-fiction, read-2018

An exquisite read. It is literature like this that gives me hope publishers haven't all lost their collective, revenue-grasping minds, pushing aside the beautiful and relevant, important and worthy for the trite, plot-silly novels that invariably have the word Girl in the title (although now Child seems to be the "in" word). Sarah Winman's (why have I not encountered her before? Tin Man is that dreaded (by the publishing industry), quiet novel, built around characters and the slow burn of years, tragedy, and a copy of a Van Gogh painting. It is the glaring sunlight of the Provençal sun against the glittering needles of the Alpilles. It is the autumn glow of a waning year in majestic Oxford. It is a couple falling in love during the delivery of a Christmas tree and another in a cemetery where the drunks go to find a moment of tenderness.

I read this in one sitting- it is not a long book, true, but more than that, it called to me with something elemental and precious that made it impossible to set aside.

Beautifully written, with sublime empathy but not a shred of sentimentality, Tin Man is literary gold.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tin Man.

February 24, 2018 – Shelved
February 24, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 5, 2018 – Started Reading
August 5, 2018 – Shelved as: best-of-2018
August 5, 2018 – Shelved as: british-isles-theme-setting
August 5, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
August 5, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
August 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Angela M Julie, loved your thoughts on this . It’s one of my favorites of the year .

Julie Christine Angela M wrote: "Julie, loved your thoughts on this . It’s one of my favorites of the year ." When you close the back cover, sobbing... it's that kind of a read. It will definitely be in my Best of the Year list, Angela.

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Alpilles?

Julie Christine Laura wrote: "Alpilles?"
It's a low mountain range in Provence- needles of rocks. So beautiful (another reason I loved this book- time spent in Provence- I knew all the towns and sites she writes about. Swoon! :-) )