Renee's Reviews > Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are so You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be

Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis

I learned about Rachel Hollis a few months ago and have been loving her Chic Tribe for the reasons that I always find it so motivational and it's backed by a community that is so supportive. I pre-ordered the "hustler's edition" of the book from Barnes & Noble.

On the whole, I'd probably give this a 4.25. I loved how it mixed memoir with practical advice in a way that felt kind of like sitting down with a wise friend who always knows what to say about all of life's struggles. Sometimes the "tough love" approach doesn't work for me and makes me feel a little alienated, so that's why I didn't give it a full 5. There was one chapter that talked about body issues and she said something to the effect of "I don't care what your excuses are for being overweight," and in that chapter and that chapter alone, I felt fat-shamed and extra frustrated with my weight loss struggles AND the diseased thyroid that contributes to them.

The rest of it, though, was great. I've been really into personal development lately and trying to work on being the best version of myself that I can be, so this went hand in hand with that goal. I liked the "Here's what helped me" sections because I didn't feel like they were too preachy, but they were practical enough that they felt adaptable. It didn't come across as "this worked for me so it will work for everyone," but instead, "this worked for me and it might work for you, but feel free to take it as a suggestion and make it your own."

It's not a long or difficult book, and if I hadn't had a super busy week while I was reading it, I probably could have finished it in a couple of days. But it's one that I know I could come back to and open up again for more inspiration whenever I need it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Wash Your Face.

February 9, 2018 – Started Reading