Sable's Reviews > Dearly Devoted Dexter

Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

I love Dexter. Dexter is a guilty pleasure. I read him when I want something that isn't too cerebral. That being said, the thought that goes into these thrillers, and the study of psychopathy that the author has engaged in to make his character convincing, is fantastic.

I don't want to get into the specifics of the plot of this particular novel, other than to say that it's ambiguous as always, and there were a few surprises, even in this easy-to-digest, simple-language book.

Is Dexter good or evil? If he's good, that completely rejects the argument that "good" is something you sense and feel and know. I believe that, so I find it challenging. On the other hand, Dexter is clearly mental ill, so is it a "good" action for a person to make his madness work in a way that nobody would object to?

On the other hand, Dexter, despite the fact that he murders serial killers, is a psychopath who tortures his victims as he murders them. Surely we don't believe that people deserve to die in such horrible ways, especially if we believe in the sanctity of all life - which I do.

Well worth reading just for the ethical challenge, but it's also a good thriller, with character interactions and an entertaining internal voice that makes you laugh even as you contemplate the deep issues at the heart of the plot.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dearly Devoted Dexter.

February 23, 2018 – Started Reading