Ashley's Reviews > The Beauty of Darkness

The Beauty of Darkness by Mary E. Pearson

liked it

Hmm.

While I did enjoy this book, it didn't quite go the direction I thought it would.

- The romance that I fell SO in love with in book #1 all but disappeared. The focus is 100% on politics/war. I don't necessarily mind that in a book, but I feel like the first book led me to believe this series was a romance. In the end, I'm not really sure I'd call it that.

- The religious part of the book really becomes front and center. It started out more like a prophecy but it really developed into a whole religion that became a huge part of the story. I'm just not a religious person so I don't particularly love reading about it.

- Whenever Lia made a speech it was so flowery... I really didn't like it. I thought it was cheesy. Example: "Brothers! Sisters! I am your queen! Daughter of your blood and sister of your heart!" It's like she spoke to them as if she was some kind of deity, which is funny because she talked about how she tried to move among the people in a very one-on-one way.

- I thought the end was a little silly. (view spoiler)

I actually stopped reading this book about halfway through for a whole week while I re-read a romance series instead.

I didn't hate this book but I'm disappointed that I didn't love it more. It didn't really grip me and the romance I loved so much in the first book was basically gone. *sigh*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beauty of Darkness.

February 24, 2018 – Started Reading
February 24, 2018 – Shelved
February 26, 2018 –
page 274
40.35% "He's being such a prat!"
March 10, 2018 – Finished Reading